Important Student Resources
Status of A-B Tech Operations
Until further notice, most A-B Tech classes, services, and operations have transitioned online. The health and safety of our students, employees, and visitors remain our top priority. As we navigate the rapidly evolving coronavirus situation, please refer to this web page for the most up-to-date information about the college.
We also ask that anyone who has a fever or other symptoms consistent with COVID-19, or who may have been exposed to people who have COVID-19, please refrain from coming to any A-B Tech locations. If your questions or needs are not addressed below, please call us at (828) 398-7900 or email email@example.com.
Sign-up for Emergency Text Alerts
Stay informed - sign up for student text alerts.
To register, go to WebAdvisor, choose to Update My Contact Information, check the box for text alerts, and enter your phone number and carrier. It takes less than a minute.
CARES Act and Financial Assistance
A-B Tech has received CARES Act funds from the federal government to be distributed to students for financial assistance. A-B Tech will issue an award of $880 to FAFSA-eligible students enrolled as of March 9, 2020, in an eligible program. This award is meant to assist these students with expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the coronavirus, such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and child-care expenses.
The full details of this award are available in the eligible student’s Financial Aid Self-Service account.
- Be a US citizen or eligible noncitizen, such as having a green card
- Have been registered for curriculum (for college credit) spring 2020 classes by March 9
- Set up a refund preference for how to receive funds from A-B Tech. If you have already done this, you do not need to repeat this step.
- College Statements on Coronavirus
- Student Services (Bailey Student Services Center)
- Curriculum/High School Dual Enrollment Students
- Continuing Education and Workforce Development
- Small Business Center at A-B Tech Enka
- Transitional Studies/Adult Education
- Other College Services
- Helpful Resources
- Employee Resources
Student Services (Bailey Student Services Center)
- Student Services are now available online and in-person to both current and prospective students:
- The Bailey Student Services Center (#5 on our campus map) will be open from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. to students who need enrollment assistance with the admissions application, Residency Determination Service (RDS), Free Application for Federal Student AID (FAFSA), or registration assistance. A member of the student Support Services staff will also be available to connect students with resources such as Accommodations, Personal Counseling, Career Counseling, and other resources.
- Student ID card requests: Students should complete the online form at: Student ID card request form.
- Admissions/Enrollment: Contact via email firstname.lastname@example.org; Admissions In-Box
- Advising: College Entry, Transfer, and Associate in General Education advising:
- College Entry Advising: Contact via email email@example.com
- Transfer Advising: Contact staff member via email firstname.lastname@example.org
- AGE/Pre-Limited/Pre-Selective Advising: Contact staff member via email email@example.com
- Questions about Limited and Selective Program admissions visit: Selective and Limited Programs
- Educational Partnerships:
- Career and College Promise (CCP)/High School Dual Enrollment: Visit Career and College Promise High School Programs or contact staff member at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or for assistance. Staff are available for appointments via Zoom, phone, or email
- Financial Aid: student assistance is currently available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday; contact staff member via email at email@example.com and via telephone at (828) 398-7595 and (828) 398-7596.
- Information Center: available 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday; contact staff member via phone at (828) 398-7900, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or live web chat
- Records & Registration: Contact staff member via email email@example.com
- Support Services (career and personal counseling, disability services): Contact staff member via email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Testing Center: Contact staff member via email email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
- Veteran Services: Contact staff member via email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President’s Office (general student assistance, concerns or complaints): Contact Dr. Terry Brasier, Vice President for Student Services at (828) 707-2864, email@example.com or visit: Student Complaints
Curriculum/High School Dual-Enrollment Students
- Check Moodle for the status of your individual classes
- Reopening Plans
- Our Commencement ceremony scheduled for May 9 was canceled due to the prohibitions on gatherings of more than 10 people. We hope to reschedule this important celebration of student success as more information becomes available.
Continuing Education and Workforce Development
- The A-B Tech Barber Academy has resumed instruction. For more information, please contact Jay Kaufmann, or leave a message an (828) 398 7609.
- Community Enrichment classes (Art, Creative Writing, Financial Wellness, Food & Beverage, Home & Garden, Languages, Defensive Driving, Motorcycle Safety, Music & Dance, Recreation) will resume this fall. See the Fall Continuing Education Schedule for information and to register. Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Great news! Online Classes through A-B Tech Ed2Go are in full session. Explore over 180 programs in the area of Occupational Training and Community Enrichment. New classes start every month. Register online. These online classes are affordable and start at $75. They offer 24-hour access in a 6-week format. Classes include activities, discussion boards, and are mobile accessible. Upon successful completion of the courses, students receive a certification of completion.
- Customized Training and Advanced Manufacturing Center: The Customized Training Program will follow the wishes and directives of industry clients, trainees, and instructors. Our staff is in constant contact with all parties, and cancellations and postponements will occur on a case-by-case basis and all parties will be notified individually. Industry training that is supposed to occur at the Advanced Manufacturing Center will occur on a case-by-case basis. For specific questions or information, contact Kevin Kimrey at email@example.com or (828) 620-1955.
- Public Safety programs: Public safety classes are being offered as needed by local agencies. Please visit the Emergency Services page for more information.
- Law Enforcement
- Fire Protection
- Workforce Programs: For questions about our other Workforce Programs, including Job Preparedness, Occupational and Skilled Trades, Classroom-Based Computer classes, and Business and Hospitality classes, please email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a part of A-B Tech, the BioNetwork Natural Products Laboratory, Test Kitchen, and instructional support staff will follow the college’s guidelines in response to the coronavirus and COVID-19 pandemic. Unfortunately, we will not be able to accept new samples or new lab rental clients during this time. There will be no face-to-face instruction until otherwise noted. Please contact us directly with any questions. Thank you for understanding. BioNetwork website
Small Business Center at A-B Tech Enka
- The Small Business Center continues to operate remotely. Video and telephone counseling sessions are available and seminars will be delivered online. New webinars continue to be added to help small business owners and more information can be found on the Small Business Center website or contact via email SBCIncubator@abtech.edu. Additional information for our clients.
Transitional Studies/Adult Education
- All Transitional Studies classes for Adult Basic Education (ABE) Foundations, English Language Acquisition (ELA/ESL), Adult High School (AHS), and High School Equivalency (HSE) Preparation have transitioned to virtual instruction formats using Zoom, Essential Ed, and Burlington English until such time as face-to-face instruction can resume. Current, continuing students who have not yet been able to connect with their instructors virtually, should call (828) 398-7433 and leave a message. They’ll receive a return call within 24 hours. Note that it may show on caller ID as coming from a restricted number.
Other College Services
- A-B Tech Police: Fully operational. (828) 398-7125
- Academic Learning Center: Students may call or email the ALC, though they are strongly encouraged to utilize email. All responses will be conducted via email. Tutoring will occur through synchronous sessions with current ALC staff via Zoom. Thinkingstorm, the College’s online tutoring platform is linked in Moodle for all students. We are purchasing additional hours.
- Bookstore: The Bookstore is open Monday–Friday from 9 a.m.–5 p.m. For more information, go to bookstore.abtech.edu. Any questions can be submitted through the “contact us” link on our website.
- Business Office: The office is open Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.; payments can also be may be made online with Self-Service. For student questions, email email@example.com.
- College Advancement: Call (828) 398-7176 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. See Advancement Coronavirus Response
- Coman Gym/Intramurals: Suspended until further notice.
- Computer Lab: Ferguson 114, Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. Friday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. A-B Tech and other locations have free "hot spots" where you may access WiFi from your vehicles. The computer lab is open when classes are in session. On non-class days, the lab is closed.
- Computer Lab at A-B Tech Madison: Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Health Clinic: Closed until Spring 2021
- Human Resources: Call (828) 398-7114 or email email@example.com.
See Human Resources Coronavirus Response: Employee Guidance
- Locke Library: Locke Library has returned to a completely virtual environment. Please keep materials that you have checked out from the library until we reopen. Fines accrued during the time the library is closed will be waived. If you have questions or concerns, please use the Ask-a-Librarian link on the left-hand side of the library home page. More information is available at the Library Guidelines for COVID-19 LibGuide. The library research service Chatstaff will take over reference assistance at 5:00 p.m. each day and be available on weekends to assist students with research. Go to the Locke Library webpage for additional information.
- Plant Operations and Facilities Support: Fully operational - Key employees listing
- Shipping and Receiving: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Campus Events and Scheduling: For more information, please contact us at email: email@example.com or (828) 398-7901
- Please note that no events can be held during the current COVID-19 crisis due to Declarations by the State of NC and Buncombe County concerning gatherings of 10 or more people
- Print Shop: Open via electronic services. Contact us at (828) 398-7158.
- Volunteers: Suspended until further notice
- The Writing Center: Students may call or email the Writing Center, though they are strongly encouraged to utilize email. All responses will be conducted via email. All tutoring will remain virtual, being conducted online, or remotely via video chat. All student inquiries will receive a response via email. The coordinator will work remotely. Administrative assistants will work from home to check voicemails, respond to student inquiries, and maintain record keeping. Go to The Writing Center webpage for additional information.
A-B Tech Locations
- A-B Tech South will continue operations remotely. Individuals seeking information or assistance should call (828) 772-5158 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A-B Tech Madison will continue operations remotely. Individuals seeking information or assistance should email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (828) 398-7700. The NC Works Career Center at Madison is also operating remotely. Please contact the Center by calling (828) 772-0864 or emailing email@example.com.