The Career Pipeline is an apprenticeship program for individuals in the community who have low levels of literacy and/or disabilities. This integrated education and training program prepares individuals for jobs in the Asheville area. The partners, A-B Tech, Goodwill, the Biltmore Company, and Biltmore Farms are working together to increase the reliable workforce.
During the program, students participate in academic instruction focusing on workplace skill development, professionalism, and career-specific training. Concurrently, students participate in an apprenticeship with either the Biltmore Company or Biltmore Farms. The goal is to expose students to employment opportunities, provide specific training for success in the field, and offer a pipeline for successful employment in hospitality and tourism.
The 2022 program begins in February 2022 and runs through June 2022. Participants must meet the following program requirements.
- Desire to work
- Not enrolled in a high school program
- Attend classes and/or apprenticeship Monday through Friday
- Work for 4 hours independently with limited or no assistance
- Attain a valid score on a CASAS Reading test
- Meet the physical requirements of the work
- Participate in a group/cohort environment
- Responsible for transportation
Of the seven program participants who participated in 2018-2019, six secured positions with the employer partners - Biltmore Company and Biltmore Farms.
Steps to Enroll
- Complete the application form. Submit to Todd Barbee at todddbarbee@abtech or mail to Attention: Todd Barbee, A-BTech, 340 Victoria Road, Asheville, NC 28801.
- Contact A-B Tech Support Services for any accommodations at (828) 398-7581 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Schedule an enrollment appointment by contacting Todd Barbee, email@example.com or (828) 398-7131.
- Contact Vocational Rehabilitation (828) 670-3377 if a Job Coach is required for support on-the-job.
February 2022 "Boot Camp"
Boot Camp will be Feb. 7 - 25 at Goodwill, 1616 Patton Ave, Asheville from 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Class begins Monday, Feb. 28, and continues through June 10. Apprenticeships begin on Tuesday, March 1 and are scheduled for each Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for 15 weeks.
Classes end on Friday, June 10. Graduation Celebration will be held on Thursday, June 23.
The apprenticeships occur on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday with the times varying based on position and location.
No, you are responsible for your own transportation to and from Goodwill and your apprenticeship on a daily basis.
Lisa Cook, A-B Tech Instructor & Goodwill Employee
The CASAS is a multiple-choice reading test that can last up to an hour. It’s not a pass/fail test. It’s just an assessment of someone’s current reading level, so we know how to best support that student with classroom instruction, etc.