Placement Options

Students have the following Placement Options:


Option 1 – High School Placement

Students who have graduated from a US/US Territory high school within the last ten (10) years (*see COVID-19 updates) must place into college-level English and math based on their high school transcript unless they are eligible for placement through one of the other options below. There are three ranges:

  • Unweighted HS GPA of 2.199 or below: Students must start with ENG-002 and/or MAT-003 transition courses
  • Unweighted HS GPA of 2.2 – 2.799: Students will be required to take support labs with their college-level English and/or Math courses
  • Unweighted HS GPA of 2.799 and above: Students may take college-level English and/or Math

Current high school juniors must have first-semester grades posted to be placed in curriculum courses.

An official high school transcript must be submitted (*see COVID-19 updates below). Transcripts should be sent to Admissions, A-B Tech Community College, 340 Victoria Road, Asheville, NC 28801.

*COVID-19 Updates:

Until further notice, students may use their official HS transcript for college-level English and math even if they graduated more than ten (10) years ago.

Students who need to request their high school transcripts who have attended the public schools in our service area. Asheville City Schools (ACS) and Madison County Schools (MCS) are the same as previously indicated. Buncombe County Schools (BCS) have changed. Please see the contact information below:

CFNC is still processing but for current students at ACS, BCS, and MCS; students may also request official virtual transcripts accordingly:

The first person listed is the primary contact and the second is the backup.

ACS: Tisha Rousseau

BCS: Phyllis Davis: and

Students should include the following in that request: Name, Date of Birth, School attended, and Year Graduated.

MCS: Lisa Gahagan and Mary Carver


Option 2 – Transfer Credit (Submit Official Transcripts)

Students with college-level math and/or English courses with a grade of “C” or higher from a regionally accredited institution may be eligible for transfer credit. An official transcript from the college at which the course was completed is required. In addition, students who have graduated with an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution will be eligible to take college-level English and/or Math courses based on the official college transcript. Students who have completed an AP Exam in math or English with a score of 3 or higher may also qualify for placement credit. Transcripts or AP scores should be sent to: Records and Registration, A-B Tech Community College, 340 Victoria Rd, Asheville, NC 28801 or may be sent electronically. Please allow two weeks for A-B Tech to receive and process a transcript mailed from another institution. Approved transfer credit will be posted to a student’s account and can be viewed in an unofficial transcript in Self-Service.

Tutorial for viewing unofficial transcript in Self-Service


Option 3 – Submit College-Level Scores From an Approved Placement Test

Students may submit official scores from an approved placement test.

Approved Placement Tests and Minimum Scores


Option 4 – Take the EdReady Placement Test

Students who graduated from high school more than ten (10) years ago are eligible to complete the EdReady placement assessment, which is available at A-B Tech Monday through Friday, except for College holidays (*see COVID-19 updates). The assessment is computer-based and must be completed in person. Students may complete the assessment in a single session but are encouraged to take the math and English portions on different days. The EdReady diagnostic is one option that A-B Tech may use to determine developmental-level course placement.

Please create an EdReady Account using your A-B Tech email before scheduling your placement test.

Students may also take the EdReady placement at another NC Community College. For more information about taking placement at another college, please contact your local community college.

If you need accommodations for testing, please contact Support Services at (828) 398-7581 or

Please allow at least two weeks to make arrangements for accommodations.


Option 5 - Submit GED Scores

Students who have received their GED in 2014 or later may submit their GED scores for placement. Official GED transcripts should be sent to Admissions, A-B Tech Community College, 340 Victoria Road, Asheville, NC 28801.