Students have the following Placement Options:
- Option 1 – High School Placement
- Option 2 – Transfer Credit (Submit Official Transcripts)
- Option 3 – Submit College-Level Scores From an Approved Placement Test
- Option 4 – Take the EdReady Placement Test
- Option 5 - Submit GED Scores
Students who have graduated from a US/US Territory high school must place into college-level English and math based on their high school transcript unless they are eligible for placement through one of the other options below. There are three ranges:
- Unweighted HS GPA of 2.199 or below: Students must start with ENG-002 and/or MAT-003 transition courses
- Unweighted HS GPA of 2.2 – 2.799: Students will be required to take support labs with their college-level English and/or Math courses
- Unweighted HS GPA of 2.799 and above: Students may take college-level English and/or Math
Current high school juniors must have first-semester grades posted to be placed in curriculum courses.
How to send high school Transcripts
- Students can send high school transcripts to the address below. We can only accept official transcripts in sealed envelopes. It can take up to two weeks for us to receive and process an incoming transcript.
Admissions Office, Asheville-Buncombe Technical College, 340 Victoria Road, Asheville, NC 28801
- A-B Tech can receive high school transcripts electronically at firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic transcripts must come directly from the institution or transcript services.
- Students from local high schools may write to the contacts below and ask them to send their transcripts to A-B Tech. (The first person listed is the primary contact and the second is the backup.) The following information should be included in the request: Name, Date of Birth, School attended, and Year Graduated.
Students with college-level math and/or English courses with a grade of “C” or higher from a regionally accredited institution may be eligible for transfer credit. An official transcript from the college at which the course was completed is required. In addition, students who have graduated with an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution will be eligible to take college-level English and/or Math courses based on the official college transcript. Students who have completed an AP Exam in math or English with a score of 3 or higher may also qualify for placement credit. Transcripts or AP scores should be sent to: Records and Registration, A-B Tech Community College, 340 Victoria Rd, Asheville, NC 28801, or may be sent electronically. Please allow two weeks for A-B Tech to receive and process a transcript mailed from another institution. Approved transfer credit will be posted to a student’s account and can be viewed in an unofficial transcript in Self-Service.
Students may submit official scores from an approved placement test.
Students who graduated from high school more than ten (10) years ago are eligible to complete the EdReady placement assessment, which is available at A-B Tech Monday through Friday, except for College holidays. The assessment is computer-based and may be completed in person or taken remotely. Students may complete the assessment in a single session but are encouraged to take the math and English portions on different days. The EdReady diagnostic is one option that A-B Tech may use to determine developmental-level course placement.
Please create an EdReady Account using your A-B Tech email before scheduling your placement test. Students may choose to take the placement test remotely or in-person in the Simpson Building. For more information, please email us at email@example.com or call (828) 398-7219 or (828) 398-7583.
Students may also take the EdReady placement at another NC Community College. For more information about taking placement at another college, please contact your local community college.
Please allow at least two weeks to make arrangements for accommodations.
Students who have received their GED in 2014 or later may submit their GED scores for placement. Official GED transcripts should be sent to Admissions, A-B Tech Community College, 340 Victoria Road, Asheville, NC 28801.