Form 1098-T Tuition Statements
The Internal Revenue Service requires that Asheville Buncombe Technical Community College (A-B Tech) report qualified tuition and expenses and scholarships and grants paid or posted to all degree-seeking students accounts on Form 1098-T. The 1098-T is an information return that assists students in computing certain education tax credits or deductions for which they may be eligible when they file annual income tax returns.
For tax information, please visit the IRS Publication 970 where detailed information is provided about tax benefits for education. For additional information and guidance, contact your professional tax preparer.
Students have instant access to their Form 1098-T Tuition Statement when it becomes available. By providing consent to receive your 1098-T Tuition Statement electronically, you will be able to access and print your 1098-T as soon as they become available.
Students should log in to their student portal and provide consent using the “1098 Electronic Consent” option under the "Tax Information" tab for instant access.
Collection of Social Security Number
A-B Tech is required to collect Social Security Number (SSN) or Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) from all degree-seeking students in accordance with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulation §1.6050S-1(e). While the submission of an SSN or TIN is not a requirement for enrollment at A-B Tech at this time, the IRS requires the College to notify all degree-seeking students that if they choose not to disclose their SSN or TIN, they may personally be subject to a $100 penalty imposed by Internal Revenue Service. Additional information regarding the IRS requirements may be found under IRS 1098-T Tax Forms.
Students are asked to supply an SSN or TIN to the College accurately on the admissions application and include the legal name as it appears on the Social Security Card or Taxpayer Identification. If the SSN or TIN that the College has on file is not correct, please notify the Registrar's Office.
The Cashier’s office cannot offer tax advice. Please consult your professional tax advisor with questions.
We are required by IRS Section 1.65050S-1 to provide Form 1098-T to students for whom qualified tuition and fees were paid during the calendar year.
Form 1098-T has been provided to assist in determining if you; or the individual who may claim you as a dependent, are eligible to claim a Hope Scholarship or Lifetime Learning Credit on the income tax return.
There are several possibilities:
- The IRS does not require us to provide one if your scholarship/aid (including formal billing arrangements with employers, government agencies, etc.) exceeded the invoiced amount.
- You attended in Spring Semester but you had enrolled and paid for your classes in prior calendar year.
- We do not have a valid Social Security Number on file for you. Please complete the W-9S and remit to the Business Office in the Roberson building to correct missing SSN.
- Your paid amounts consisted of only non-credit courses such as "Continuing Education" courses.
Your 1098-T will report any amount paid on your account from January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019.
Your 1098-T form is not mailed but available on your student portal to print for instant access.
A-B Tech will send a confirmation to your student email when 1098T form is available. A-B Tech must have them completed by January 31st.
Yes. The 1098-T form from your student portal is an IRS approved form.
Yes. The Student Account/Cashier’s Office can reprint tax forms. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your student information (including your student ID number) or visit the Roberson building on Main Campus.
No. The IRS only allows the student access to this information.
Only qualified tuition and expenses are reported on your 1098-T. Please consult your professional tax adviser with questions regarding "qualified expenses".
Not necessarily, the College is required to provide Form 1098-T to individuals who paid for qualified tuition and fees during the calendar year. Please consult your professional tax advisor in regards to individual determination.
Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College cannot offer tax advice. Please consult your professional tax advisor for additional information.
- Box 1 represents the amount of qualified paid tuition and expenses for calendar dates January 1 through December 31 that have been paid to A-B Tech Community College.
- Box 2 will not be used.
- Box 4 represents any adjustments that have been made for a prior tax year such as drop/add refunds, etc.
- Box 5 represents the total of all scholarships or grants administered and processed by the eligible educational institution as well as the total of any tuition or fees that were paid by a sponsor on the student's behalf through a formal sponsorship agreement. The amount of scholarships or grants for the calendar year (including those not reported by the institution) may reduce the amount of any allowable tuition and fees deduction or the education credit you may claim for the year.
- Box 6 represents any adjustments made to scholarships or grants for a prior tax year such as a financial aid amount change.
- Box 7 is checked only if the student has paid prior to December 31 for any qualified tuition for the spring semester.
- Box 8 is only checked if the student has been a half time student (6 credit hours) for at least one academic period that began during the calendar year.
- Box 9 and 10 will not be used at A-B Tech Community College.