The Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College Board of Trustees convened a meeting on Monday, June 5, 2023, at 3:00 p.m., in the Auditorium on the A-B Tech Woodfin. Mr. Matt Kern, Chair, presided.
The following members of the Board participated: Theresa Banks, Joe Barwick, Tommy Justus, Himanshu Karvir, David King, Judy Lewis, Roger Metcalf, John Parham, Frances Ramsey, and Jason Walls. Joe Brumit, Michael Garrison, and Libby Kyles were absent.
Others present for the meeting included: Dr. John Gossett, President; Terry Brasier, Vice President of Student Services; Shanna Chambers, Vice President of Human Resources and Organizational Development; Amanda Edwards, Executive Director of College Advancement; Kerri Glover, Executive Director of Community Relations and Marketing; Beth Stewart, Vice President of Instructional Services; Brian Willis, Vice President of Information Technology; Dirk Wilmoth, Vice President of Business and Finance/CFO; Deborah Wright, Vice President of Economic & Workforce Development and Continuing Education; Ashley Leonard, College Attorney; and Carolyn Rice, Secretary to the Board.
Dean Clint Gorman welcomed the Board to the A-B Tech Woodfin and introduced several staff members.
Call to Order
At 3:09 p.m., Chair Kern read the ethics statement. No conflicts of interest were reported. Ms. Rice called roll; a quorum was present.
At 3:11 p.m., Chair Kern asked for a motion to approve the Consent Agenda.
Ms. Lewis moved to approve Consent Agenda items: 1. A. May 1, 2023, Board Meeting Minutes; 1. B. Personnel Actions; 1. C. 2023-2024 Annual Appointments and Reappointments; and 1. D. Blanket Travel Authorization and Excess Approval.
The motion to approve the Consent Agenda was seconded by Mr. King. Mr. Walls abstained from the vote. The motion passed by majority consent.
2. A. Ms. Shanna Chambers asked the Board to approve updates to Policy 506, Service and Retirement Awards and Memorials Program. The policy and procedure have been updated to include memorials for deceased employees and retirees, in appreciation of their service to the College. Memorials will be funded by the College Foundation.
Dr. Justus moved to approve updates to the Service Retirement Awards and Memorials Program Policy. Mr. King seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
3. A. Mr. Himanshu Karvir, Mr. David King, and Dr. John Parham agreed to serve on the Nominating Committee. The Committee will present their nominations for Chair, Vice Chair, and Board Secretary for 2023-2024, at the August 7, 2023, meeting.
Dr. Gossett shared the following with the Board:
- Mr. Brandon Hensley, an NC State Doctoral candidate, was introduced to the Board as Dr. Gossett’s mentee. Mr. Hensley is taking part in the Belk Community College Leadership program.
- Commencement was a wonderful event, and Dr. Gossett thanked the Board for attending.
- Pinning ceremonies continue into the summer.
- A team from A-B Tech met with Asheville Chief of Police Zack. The conversation was good, and the College will continue to do all BLET training for Asheville City Police Officers.
- The College had a 100 percent pass rate in BLET!
- Dr. Wilmoth presented the College’s budget to the Buncombe County Commissioners, which was well received.
- Dr. Gossett attended a meeting in Madison County with Blue Cross and Blue Shield, who have been touring each county of North Carolina. Several Board members were in attendance, and it is always good to see Board members support our communities.
- Buncombe County has hired a project manager to help speed up the process of the Biltmore West project.
At 3:28 p.m., Mr. Walls moved that the Trustees enter into closed session pursuant to G.S. 143-318.11(a) (1) and (3) in order to discuss confidential personnel matters pursuant to G.S. 115D-27-29 and to discuss matters protected by the attorney-client privilege. Dr. Parham seconded the motion which was approved unanimously.
5. B. Dr. Parham moved to approve April 3, 2023, Closed Session Minutes. Ms. Lewis seconded the motion which passed unanimously.
At 3:59 p.m., on a motion properly made, the Board returned to Open Session.
Divisional Updates, the May 2023 Student Success Scorecard, and the State and County Budgets as of April 30, 2023, are in the Handouts.
The next Board meeting will be on Monday, August 7, 2023, at 3:00 p.m. in The Brumit Center for Culinary Arts and Hospitality.
On a motion properly made, the meeting adjourned at 4:00 p.m.
Carolyn H. Rice