Documentation Requirements

In postsecondary education, it is the responsibility of the student to identify him/herself to Support Services should he/she need any kind of accommodation. Students generally will not receive accommodations until their documentation of disability is on file in Support Services.

Acceptable documentation of disability includes medical report, physician's statement, psychological evaluation, or psycho-educational evaluation. If a statement from a provider, please have on letterhead, with provider credentials and signature, dated, with diagnosis, and impact to the individual of the disability.

This list is not meant to be totally exclusive but establishes the tone of accepted documentation. As the law allows, students undergoing evaluation or awaiting transmittal of their documentation may also receive services and accommodations. The only exception to this requirement is what is called the "reasonable person rule." That is, if any reasonable person were to see a given student, they would concur that they were disabled.

There are differences between high school and college accommodations. If you are a high school dual enrolled, middle college, or early college student, then you have to request accommodations through Support Services for your college classes. Please see the Differences Between High School and College Accommodations handout to compare the differences.

It is illegal for an institution to inquire about disability prior to admission.