Veterans Services FAQs

How do I start my educational benefits?

To apply for VA Education Benefits visit the VA’s website. Also, check out our Certification of Benefits page.

To enroll at A-B Tech, please follow the steps on our Admissions page. For additional information about the types of benefits for which you may qualify please visit the Department of Veteran Affairs Educational Benefits page.

How many credits do I need to be full-time?

In a full 16-week Fall or Spring semester, 12-credits is full-time. In the 8-week mini-mesters, 6 credits are full-time. Summer semesters are generally 8-10 weeks long and 6-7 credits, respectively, are full-time in Summer.

Am I still eligible to receive financial aid if I am receiving VA educational benefits?

Yes, you are eligible to apply for financial aid as any other student would. Even if you receive additional VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch 31) assistance, you may be eligible for financial aid. Check out the Financial Aid web page for more information about applying for Student Aid.

While many other types of aid can be used with the GI Bill there are certain types of funding that may affect Post 9-11 GI Bill tuition and fee payments. If you have questions about what types of funding can/can’t be used, contact the Veteran Services Coordinator at and tell them about the funding you expect to receive so they can evaluate whether it will impact GI Bill certifications/payments.

How do I verify my monthly enrollment for educational benefits?

Many students receiving MGIB-Active Duty (Chapter 30) benefits, as well as those in the Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) and REAP (Chapter 1607), must verify their enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling the toll-free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at (877) 823-2378.

Chapter 35 (Dependents Educational Assistance) students who are in non-degree (certificate and diploma) programs can verify their attendance by calling the GI Bill Hotline at 1-888-GI-BILL-1.

Other benefit recipients do not need to verify their attendance monthly. They only need to notify A-B Tech’s Veteran Services Coordinator after they register to have their enrollment certified.

Are there any academic standards I must maintain to keep my VA educational benefits?

Students must adhere to the Academic Standards Policy of A-B Tech. A-B Tech notifies the VA within thirty days of any change in status or failure to meet satisfactory progress. Typically, a student has to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 to remain in good academic standing.

What if I need to withdraw from a class?

In general, if you withdraw from any class(es) the VA will want you to pay back all funds you received for being in that class, this includes money paid to you or the school by the VA.
There are some exceptions to this, however. If you have a qualifying “mitigating circumstance” the VA will prorate the debt by how much of the class you attended.

How do I find out if I have any benefits left?

Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at (888) 442-4551, enroll in or ask your Educational Liaison for Tuition Assistant students.
Post 9-11 GI Bill recipients can view a Statement of Benefits through the VA’s website.

What do I need to do each semester once I register for my classes?

Students MUST notify the Veteran Services Coordinator at after registration every semester so benefits can be processed.

When will I get paid?

There are a couple of considerations in determining when to expect payment.
First, your classes need to be certified to the VA. After this is done, it usually takes the VA about 30 days to process the certification and schedule the payment(s). Though, during busy times of the year, it can take longer.
Additionally, the VA pays stipend money to students “on the first of the month following the month you earned the money in”. So, if your classes start in mid-August you should receive your first payment on September 1st, assuming you were certified far enough in advance that the VA has had time to process your certification.
The exception to this is Post 9-11 GI Bill occasionally pays the “book stipend” earlier than the monthly BAH, but not always. Every student should be prepared to start the semester without their VA money. This is one reason it can be helpful to apply for Financial Aid and to submit your schedule for certification ASAP.

Do I have to pay tuition and fees?

Yes, with the exception of (Chapter 33) Post 9/11 GI Bill, (Chapter 31) VA Vocational Rehabilitation, and the Tuition Assistance Program, students are responsible for their own tuition and fees. VA benefits are a monthly allotment that gets paid via check or direct deposit.
Students who expect to have their tuition paid by the VA and who have proof of their eligibility for their benefit may be eligible for a payment deadline extension to allow the VA time to pay the school. This is another reason it is important to notify the Veteran Services Coordinator as soon as you register for classes.

What classes can be certified by the VA?

VA Education Benefit recipients can only be certified for coursework required for completion of their program of study after the application of any transfer credit. Any course substitutions must be approved and documented by the Department Chairperson and a copy filed in the Veteran Services Coordinator’s office. Veterans may only take approved/required deficiency/remedial courses specifically required for the completion of their program.

How do I get college credit for my military training?

Submit your Joint Service Transcript to our Registrar’s Office at
Air Force veterans/service members will order their transcripts through CCAF.

Can I retake classes for a better grade?

While you can retake classes you’ve already passed, the VA will not allow them to be certified. Usually, a “D” or better is considered passing, though some programs/classes may require a “C” or better to be considered passing. If you “passed” the class before, the VA will not allow it to be certified again, even if you didn’t technically get a “failing” (“F”) grade.

Are my VA educational benefits taxable?

No, any Veterans' benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

What benefits are available for my dependents?

Chapter 35: Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA): DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are 100% disabled or deceased due to military service.

Transfer of Entitlement (ToE): Service members may transfer Chapter 33 benefits to a spouse or dependent children. Must serve six years & reenlists for 4 more years or have at least 10 years of service, then the transfer is possible.

FRY Scholarship: FRY provides benefit eligibility for children of active-duty members of the Armed Forces who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001.

MyCAA: Military Spouse Career Advancement Account program provides an education benefit of $4,000, with an annual fiscal year cap of $2,000 to assist eligible military spouses in acquiring professional credentials.