Anyone interested in the aerospace industry should consider looking into a new, local program.
Asheville–Buncombe Technical Community College(A-B Tech) is offering free, fast-track courses to help train the workforce needed for the new Asheville Pratt & Whitney facility. The project is expected to create 800 jobs by 2027.
This program is designed to put local residents on the path toward full-time work in the aerospace manufacturing field.
"It can lead to things such as engineering, programming, maintenance, all sorts of stuff," said instructor Ryan Kappetti. "Like I said, it's really just a foundational basic building block to build up off of any which way you want."
The fast-track sessions will take place throughout February and March.
In order to participate in the fast-track training, a person must first submit a job application to Pratt & Whitney.
Pratt & Whitney Fast Track Training schedule options:
- Session 1:
- Saturdays, Feb. 18 and Feb. 25, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Session 2:
- Tuesday through Friday, Feb. 21-24, 12:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Session 3:
- Tuesday through Friday, Feb. 21-24, 5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
- Session 4:
- Tuesday through Friday, Feb. 28-March 3, 12:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Session 5:
- Tuesday through Friday, Feb. 28 through March 3, 5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
- Session 6:
- Saturdays, March 4 and March 11, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Training topics include:
- Introduction to Lean Manufacturing
- Work Instructions
- Communication Skills
- Employer Expectations
- Shop Math
- Team Building
- Computer Skills
- Online Learning Modules