The RIBN Nursing pathway is a dual enrollment A.A.S. to B.S.N. option with A-B Tech and Western Carolina University. Students are accepted into and take courses at both A-B Tech and WCU during enrollment in the RIBN Nursing pathway.
Students are required to:
- Apply and be admitted to A-B Tech's Associate Degree Nursing program. Please review the Associate Degree Nursing admission criteria.
- Follow specific application and admission criteria as set forth by Western Carolina University to be considered for the RIBN Nursing pathway.
- Maintain dual admission and continued enrollment at both A-B Tech and WCU by completing one course through WCU for Years 1 and 2.
- Maintain a GPA of 2.5 or greater to progress in the RIBN Nursing pathway, with a minimum grade of “C” in all coursework.
- Year 1: Enroll in pre-Nursing courses at A-B Tech and apply to A-B Tech's Associate Degree Nursing program and Western Carolina University.
- Years 2 and 3: Begin the Associate Degree Nursing program at A-B Tech and successfully complete one course through WCU each year as a RIBN Nursing pathway student (courses specified by WCU). Graduate from the ADN program and successfully pass your NCLEX exam.
- Year 4: Already a Registered Nurse (RN) and successful graduate of A-B Tech's ADN program, RIBN Nursing pathway students complete their BSN coursework through WCU on the Biltmore Park campus in Asheville, NC. It takes two full-time semesters to complete Year 4.
Thank you for your interest in the WNC RIBN Nursing pathway at A-B Tech. Students applying to WNC RIBN must meet admission criteria for A-B Tech's Associate Degree Nursing program as well as specific criteria for WCU.
All students must meet the following minimum requirements to be eligible to apply:
- Acceptance into A-B Tech's Associate Degree Nursing program
- General acceptance into Western Carolina University
- Specific WNC RIBN Nursing pathway criteria set forth by WCU:
- Minimum ACT score of 19 (no test score substitutions accepted).
- Cumulative college GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. If a student has less than 20 credit hours of college coursework, then this requirement will default to the high school unweighted GPA.
- Minimum ATI TEAS Score of 70.
Students interested in the WNC RIBN Nursing pathway should email email@example.com
- I already have a degree (associate's or bachelor's). Is RIBN a good fit for me? Any students interested in A-B Tech's Associate Degree Nursing program should first consult our Student Advising Team for assistance. All students begin in our Pre-Nursing program, at which point a Student Advisor can help you decide if the specific RIBN Nursing pathway criteria is right for you. A-B Tech's Associate Degree Nursing program allows all students the opportunity to pursue general education courses toward a baccalaureate nursing education.
- What scholarship monies are available for WNC RIBN students? All A-B Tech Nursing students can apply for the "Forgivable Education Loans for Service". Information for that program can be found on the College Foundation of North Carolina website. Also, students can apply for foundation scholarships at A-B Tech. The application period is typically early in the year for the following fall. Students also need to check with their employers to see if there are any tuition reimbursement options, particularly in the health care field.
- If I have taken the ACT before, do I have to re-take it to apply? If you have taken the ACT before and the score meets entry requirements to WCU, you do not have to retake it (there is no expiration on the ACT score). A-B Tech's Associate Degree Nursing program does not require ACT scores to apply.
- What if my GPA is not over a 3.0? If your unweighted GPA from high school is under a 3.0, you will then complete 20 hours of college-level work. Your college GPA will then be used as part of your WNC RIBN Nursing pathway application. If your cumulative college GPA is under a 3.0, you can consider these three options: retake the class (at the same institution) for a better grade, take enough credits at the "A" level to get a GPA over a 3.0, or look into an academic forgiveness policy. When you email the RIBN advisor, the best option for GPA repair will be explored. A-B Tech's Associate Degree Nursing program does not have a minimum GPA requirement to apply.
- Can I apply to A-B Tech's Nursing program as well as RIBN? Yes! Because the RIBN Nursing pathway is only one option to apply for A-B Tech's Associate Degree Nursing program, we highly encourage students to consider both RIBN as well as the traditional RN to BSN pathway. We work with each student to determine which pathway will be the best option for applicants to A-B Tech's Nursing program. Both RIBN and the RN-BSN pathway prepare graduates of A-B Tech's Associate Degree Nursing program to take their NCLEX exam and continue on with a baccalaureate education.
- How do I get started? The next step would be to email firstname.lastname@example.org.