The Cardiovascular Sonography curriculum provides the individual with the knowledge and skills necessary to acquire, process, and evaluate the human heart and vascular structures. A cardiovascular sonographer uses high-frequency sound waves to produce images of the heart and vascular structures.
Course work includes effective communication and patient care skills combined with a knowledge of physics, human anatomy, physiology, and pathology, all of which are essential to obtaining high-quality sonographic images.
Graduates may find employment in hospitals, physicians’ offices, mobile services, and educational institutions.
Specific Program Requirements:
- General college admission requirements.
- This program has a selective selection process. See Selective Allied Health Program Criteria on the Selective and Limited Programs page of the A-B Tech website. Selective and Limited Programs
- Keyboarding skills are highly recommended.
- Final admission to the Cardiovascular Sonography program shall be contingent upon documentation of physical and emotional health that would provide evidence indicative of the applicant’s ability to provide safe care to the public. Completed medical and immunization records must be submitted before classes begin.
- Either first dose of Hepatitis B vaccine or completion of series.
- Current American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers certification is a prerequisite to full admission and must be maintained throughout the program. This certification must include hands-on skills components, AED use, and other lifesaving skills. Course certifications from any other providers will not be accepted.
- Satisfactory completion of required immunizations prior to admission to clinical sites. Affiliated clinical sites for Sonography will require an onboarding process, which will include a criminal background check and drug screen prior to the term in which the first clinical experience will occur. If any clinical facility refuses to allow the student to participate in clinical experiences, for any reason, the student will not be able to progress in the program.
- Sonography students will be required to complete clinical rotations that may require them to travel as much as two hours from campus.
- Prior to admission to the Cardiovascular Sonography program, students must have successfully completed BIO 163 (or advisor-approved substitution) COM-120, MAT 152, and PHY-125 with a "C" or better. Students applying to the Cardiovascular Sonography program are encouraged to have successfully completed: ENG 111, PHI-240 and PSY-150 prior to program admission due to the rigorous nature of the Medical Sonography curriculum
Courses requiring a grade of “C” or better: BIO, COM, ENG, MAT, PHY, and SON