What is WIOA?
The Workforce Innovative Opportunity Act (WIOA) funding is designed to help an individual enroll in short-term continuing education courses or long-term curriculum programs that lead to employment. WIOA helps with better job training for advanced career moves. WIOA offers funding that will cover tuition, books, uniforms as well as other supplies. Continuing Education course expenses are set per course and Curriculum course expenses are per semester up to an allowable amount. An individual is encouraged to complete a two-year degree within two years for continued coverage. The goal is to sponsor individuals in their training without the added financial burdens that going to school can cause.
- Intense Case Management
- Workshops & Activities
- Follow-ups after employment
- Meet income guidelines (Based on your family size income ratio)
- Proof of Address
- You will also need to provide the following documents to complete the enrollment process:
- Birth Certificate or Current Passport for US Citizens
- Green Card or Work Authorization for non-US residents
- Social Security Card (signed)
- Driver’s License or State I.D
- Pay stubs or employer letters itemizing pay for the last six months.
- Family Size verification through tax documentation, rental agreement, or other legal documents.
- Highest Level of school education verification with a transcript, GED, or diploma.
- For Dislocated Workers: Wage Transcript from DES, Claimant Profile, or Lay off letter.
- Selective Service Registration – For male-identifying individuals born after 1959.
- Students will need to review the WIOA Orientation before enrollment.
Assistance is Available for:
- Dislocated Workers
- Justice-Involved Individuals
- SNAP Participants
- Unemployed Individuals
- Underemployed Workers (30 hours or less per week)
Continuing Education Programs Available:
For more information contact:
Carla McGirt, Lead Case Manager & Coordinator, NC Works
— or —
Samantha Justice, WIOA Case Manager, Continuing Education Workforce Development
— or —
Catherine Redwine — Career Navigator, Asheville NC Works