A-B Tech is suspending all volunteer placements as of March 16, 2020.
Please see the A-B Tech main page for updates.
Interested volunteers will be placed on a waiting list until we can resume volunteer placements at A-B Tech.
Volunteer with Us!
We are delighted you are interested in joining our A-B Tech Volunteer Team. Volunteers are a vital part of achieving our mission of student success while delivering quality education to enhance academic, workforce, and personal development. Volunteers from all backgrounds serve in a variety of capacities across all our campuses, from administrative support to tutoring.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be able to commit to one regular volunteer shift per week unless volunteering for special events or programming.
- Both community members and A-B Tech students are eligible to volunteer.
Volunteers must undergo the on-boarding process, which includes the following.
- Complete the online volunteer application form
- Provide contact information for those who can give you a positive reference.
- Submit to a criminal background screening.
- Attend an in-person interview and orientation with our Campus Volunteer Coordinator.
- Be approved by the volunteer position supervisor.
A-B Tech is seeking organized volunteers to help our office staff with administrative tasks like copying, faxing, filing, data entry, putting together packets of information, mailings, making phone calls, and much more. This opportunity allows you to support the College without direct student contact. We offer a casual and welcoming office environment and an excellent opportunity to learn about A-B Tech. - (Taking new volunteers Mid-August)
Departments throughout the College rely on volunteers to provide direct support to our student body. Opportunities to serve include tutoring, note-taking, and assistance with completing financial support applications, and much more. These opportunities are ideal for those interested in working directly with students.
- FAFSA Volunteer - (Fall 2019)
- Adult Basic Education: Reading, Writing and Math Coach
- Tutor- English Language Acquisition (ELA)
- Tutor- High School Equivalency and Adult Basic Education - ( Math Tutor Needed Tuesday and/or Thursday Evenings)
A-B Tech has several specialized programs designed to support specific groups of students on campus, such as veterans and students in the recovery process from addiction. Volunteers act as hosts in the designated Vet’s Cafe or RESET Room. Their role is to ensure students are not socially isolating themselves and provide support where appropriate. We ask that potential volunteers have skills and or experiences in either area.
Therapy Dog Program
Spread a little “pawsistivity” with the A-B Tech Dog Therapy Program. The College recognizes the positive influence that therapy dogs can have on students and staff. Volunteers can pick regular routes visiting with staff, faculty, and students or sign up for special requests such as exam stress busters, or counseling visits. Volunteers are required to be registered as a pet therapy team with Alliance of Therapy Dogs, or Therapy Dogs International, before applying to volunteer.
Asheville Radio Museum
The Asheville Radio Museum traces the history of radio from the early days of spark-gap transmitters through the 1960s, stimulating students and the public interest in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). Exhibits and artifacts include Atwater Kent, Philco, Silvertone Radios. Summer Hours: Saturdays 1-3 p.m. June through August.