About the Associate in Engineering
If you are interested in the Associate in Engineering, please contact Valerie Martin, AE Advisor
Valerie Martin, Math Instructor
Transfer Guides for Engineering at the UNC System
East Carolina University
- East Carolina University Transfer Guides (including Engineering)
- East Carolina University Engineering Website
North Carolina A&T State University
- North Carolina A&T State University Transfer Guides (including Engineering)
- North Carolina A&T State University Engineering Website
North Carolina State University
- NC State University Engineering Transfer Admissions Requirements
- NC State University Engineering Transfer Website
UNC Asheville (joint program with NC State)
- UNC Asheville Mechatronics recommended courses for transfer students
- UNC Asheville Mechatronics Website
- UNC Charlotte Engineering recommended courses for transfer students
- UNC Charlotte Engineering Website
Western Carolina University
- Western Carolina University Transfer Guides (including Engineering)
- Western Carolina University Engineering Website
The following table shows the math and physics sequencing required for all engineering programs offered in the UNC system.
Engineering Math and Physics sequencing
- Fall (1st Semester)
- MAT-171 Pre-calculus Algebra*
- Spring (2nd semester)
- MAT-172 Pre-calculus Trigonometry
- Summer (3rd semester)
- MAT-271 Calculus I**
- Fall (4th semester)
- MAT-272 Calculus II & PHY-251 General Physics
- Spring (5th semester)
- MAT-273 Calculus III & PHY-252 General Physics II***
Please note the following:
**Students who score 3+ in AP Calculus can transfer to MAT-271 Calculus I with official scores from The College Board.
***PHY-251 is only offered in the fall semester and PHY-252 is only offered in the spring semester so it is important to make sure you have completed MAT-271 Calculus I prior to the fall of your final year.
CHM-151 General Chemistry I (prerequisite of CHM-092 Fundamentals of Chemistry or high school chemistry, transcript required) is also required. Students are advised to complete this prior to their MAT-272 Calculus II semester.
We strongly recommend that all students adequately prepare prior to taking placement tests.
- To study for placement in MAT-171 use the Free Online Algebra Review Course through Udacity. This section of placement is not required if a student has a Math ACT/SAT score of 22+ (ACT) or 500+ (SAT). ACT/SAT scores expire after 5 years.
- To study for placement in MAT-172 or 271 use the Sample Math Questions through AIMS Community College.
- Links to both reviews are available through the A-B Tech Testing Center Website: Prepare for Placement Testing
There are multiple ways to place into MAT-271 Calculus I. Please discuss alternative MAT-271 Calculus I placement options with your College Transfer Advisor.