The following table shows the math and physics sequencing required for all engineering programs offered in the UNC system. Stay tuned for updates to the engineering pathway at A-B Tech!
Engineering math and physics sequencing
Fall (1st Semester)
- MAT-171 Pre-calculus Algebra*
- Spring (2nd semester)
- MAT-172 Pre-calculus Trigonometry
- Summer (3rd semester)
- MAT-271 Calculus I**
- Fall (4th semester)
- MAT-272 Calculus II & PHY-251 General Physics I***
- Spring (5th semester)
- MAT-273 Calculus III & PHY-252 General Physics II***
Please note the following:
*MAT-171 follows DMA 010-080. A student who tests out of the DMA sequence is eligible to take a College-Level Math Accuplacer placement test to potentially test out of MAT-171 and MAT-172.
**Students who score 3+ in AP Calculus can transfer in MAT-271 Calculus I with official scores from The College Board.
***PHY-251 is only offered in the fall semester and PHY-252 is only offered in the spring semester so it is important to make sure you have completed MAT-271 Calculus I prior to the fall of your final year.
CHM-151 General Chemistry I (prerequisite of CHM-092 Fundamentals of Chemistry or high school chemistry, transcript required) is also required. Students are advised to complete this prior to their MAT-272 Calculus II semester.
We strongly recommend that all students adequately prepare prior to taking placement tests.
- To study for placement in MAT-171 use the Free Online Algebra Review Course through Udacity. This section of placement is not required if a student has a Math ACT/SAT score of 22+ (ACT) or 500+ (SAT). ACT/SAT scores expire after 5 years.
- To study for placement in MAT-172 or 271 use the Sample Math Questions through AIMS Community College.
- Links to both reviews are available through the A-B Tech Testing Center Website: Prepare for Placement Testing
All this information is available in a .pdf version of Engineering Math And Physics Sequencing.
There are multiple ways to place into MAT-271 Calculus I. Please discuss alternative MAT-271 Calculus I placement options with your College Transfer Advisor.
Transfer Guides for Engineering at the UNC System
East Carolina University
- East Carolina University Transfer Guides (including Engineering)
- East Carolina University Engineering Website
North Carolina A&T State University
- North Carolina A&T State University Transfer Guides (including Engineering)
- North Carolina A&T State University Engineering Website
North Carolina State University
- NC State University Engineering Transfer Admissions Requirements
- NC State University Engineering Transfer Website
UNC Asheville (joint program with NC State)
- UNC Asheville Mechatronics recommended courses for transfer students
- UNC Asheville Mechatronics Website
- UNC Charlotte Engineering recommended courses for transfer students
- UNC Charlotte Engineering Website
Western Carolina University