The following guidelines pertain to CART services & ASL interpreters requested by students registered with Support Services and listed on a letter of accommodation.
It is the student’s responsibility to:
- Communicate accommodation needs with the instructor and schedule in advance (at least 1-3 weeks) the CART provider or ASL interpreter needs through the Support Services office.
- Notify the CART provider or ASL interpreter if you will be absent or if the class has been canceled at least 24 hours in advance. Failure to do so three (3) times may result in discontinuation of service.
- If the CART provider or ASL interpreter is not present for the scheduled time, please text/call the Support Services cell phone right away at (828) 337-3337 for Heather Pack.
- Report to Support Services staff immediately if you withdraw from class so services may be canceled in a timely manner.
It is the instructor’s responsibility to:
- Ensure all videos and movies are captioned.
- Establish a consistent Zoom meeting link for the CART provider to access in each class.
- If needed, wear a mic provided that enhances sound quality.
The role of an ASL interpreter or CART provider:
- Does not include assisting the instructor as a teaching assistant.
- Does not include participating in class discussions or activities as if they are a student. If clarification is needed for the sake of the student they are supporting, please check with the instructor in advance how best to do that within the structure of the class.
- Although not a student, ASL interpreters, and CART providers must also follow the A-B Tech Code of Conduct as well as any classroom rules and expectations as set forth in the course syllabus.
- ASL interpreters and CART providers need to fulfill the responsibilities of their role as required by their agency and/or professional accreditation.
For questions, concerns, or clarification of these guidelines or case-by-case resolution of conflicts,
please contact Support Services.