Law, Public Safety, Corrections, & Security
When there’s something strange in your neighborhood, who are you going to call? Typically, someone from this career cluster will respond to your request for help. These workers protect us from crime and other sources of harm like natural disasters. They help us receive fair treatment and seek justice when we’ve been wronged. Some workers also set up and implement security plans.
If you pay attention to the evening news or watch television dramas, you’re aware of the most obvious occupations in this industry: police officers, firefighters, and lawyers. Less obvious jobs in this cluster include lifeguards and ski patrol workers and animal control workers. Occupations with large projected 10-year increases in openings include lawyers and emergency medical technicians.
Work environments and educational backgrounds differ in these occupations. Although some workers stay in offices most of the day, others work outdoors. For certain jobs, workers must pass medical exams and demonstrate strength and agility. Some careers may be dangerous and require shift work, sometimes with long hours. Many of these jobs can be found at all levels of government, in law offices, and security businesses.
The following Core Skills are necessary for success in these occupations.
- Negotiation - Bringing people together to solve differences
- Persuasion - Talking people into changing their minds or their behavior
- Social Perceptiveness - Understanding people's reactions
- Active Listening - Listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- Speaking - Talking to others
- Critical Thinking - Thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- Writing - Writing things for co-workers or customers
- Judgment & Decision Making - Thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- Service Orientation - Looking for ways to help people
- Coordination - Changing what is done based on other people's actions
Fields of Study in Law, Public Safety, Corrections, & Security