Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College offers a diploma in Dental Assisting and an A.A.S. in Dental Hygiene. Both of these offer exciting career opportunities. They are among the fastest-growing professions for today's career search. The dental field is a very rewarding job that allows you to become a part of the Allied Health Care and serve in an area that helps people with dental health which is a part of your total health.
The A-B Tech campus is located in the beautiful WNC Mountains of Asheville, North Carolina. You will not only be able to get the education you need, but you can also enjoy the culture of our area with many restaurants, shopping, outdoor adventures, or just simply settle in quietly while you are here.
It is our hope that you will find the answers needed to help you make good decisions about your education and career.
The Dental Hygiene and Dental Assisting programs have been granted the Accreditation Status of Approval Without Reporting Requirements by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation. This status is awarded to an educational program indicating that the program achieves or exceeds the basic requirements for accreditation.
A copy of the Dental Hygiene and Dental Assisting Accreditation Standards and CODA Policies and Procedures, including those for complaints, may be obtained online at American Dental Association (ADA); in writing at 211 East Chicago Ave., Chicago, IL 60611; or by calling (800) 621-8099.
NC Dental Board
CODA - A-B Tech Admissions Programs Technical Standards
CITA Board for Dental Hygiene Candidates
Con Ed Dental Radiology Class
Dental Radiology Night Class is offered in May or June each year. Contact the Continuing Education Department for registration, dates, and more information. For More Information call, (828) 398-7934 OR Visit WebAdvisor and click Continuing Education Students
Employment of dental hygienists is projected to grow 11 percent from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations. The demand for dental services will increase as the population ages and as research continues to link oral health to overall health.
2019 Median Pay:
$76,220 per year
$36.65 per hour
(Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- Mrs. Little holds a Diploma in Dental Assisting from UNC-Chapel Hill, DANB Certified Dental Assistant, A.A.S. in Dental Hygiene from A-B Tech, Bachelor of Science in Allied Health from Mars Hill College and a Master in Health Science (emphasis in education) from Western Carolina University.
Mrs. Overcash holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Dental Hygiene from the Medical University of South Carolina.
- Mrs. Fisher holds an A.A.S. in Dental Hygiene from A-B Tech. and a Bachelor in Dental Hygiene from East Tennessee State University in Dental Health.
- Ms. Anderson holds a Diploma in Dental Assisting from A-B Tech, DANB Certified Dental Assistant, Bachelor in Health Science from Nova Southeastern University.
- Mrs. Bush holds an A.A. in Pre-Pharmacy from Cerritos College in California and a Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene from the University of Southern California.
- Mrs. Brooks holds an A.A.S. in Dental Hygiene from A-B Tech Community College and Bachelor in Dental Hygiene from East Tennessee State University.
- Mrs. Covert holds a Diploma in Dental Assisting from Ontario Business College, A.A.S. in Dental Hygiene from Lake Superior College, Bachelor in Dental Hygiene and Masters of Science in Dental Hygiene from University of Missouri Kansas City.
Jeniffer Nicholson, RDH, BS
- Ms. Nicholson holds a Diploma in Dental Assisting and an A.A.S. in Dental Hygiene from A-B Tech and a Bachelors of Science from Mars Hill College.
Caroline Amerson, RDH, BSDH, MS
- Ms. Amerson holds a Bachelor of Science Degree from UNC-Chapel Hill and a Masters Degree in Forensic Odontology from UT-Knoxville.
Julie Goins, RDH, BS
- Mrs. Goins holds an A.A.S. in Dental Hygiene from A-B Tech Community College and Bachelor in Allied Health from Mars Hill College
Terry R. Schmidt, DDS
- Dr. Schmidt holds Bachelors Degree from Ball State University and a Doctor Dental Science from Loyola University School of Dentistry.
Kristy Lance, CDA, CPFDA
- Mrs. Lance holds a Diploma in Dental Assisting from A-B Tech. She is a DANB Certified Dental Assistant.
Dr. Callan White, General Dentist (Buncombe), 2015-2020
Dr. Keith Black, Orthodontist (Buncombe), 2018-2020
Dr. Van Pragg, General Dentist (Buncombe/Haywood), 2017-2019
Rosalyn Wasserman, CE Planner at MAHEC, Unlimited
Susan Riddle, Eblen Charities, Unlimited
Deborah Plemmons RDH, Eblen Sealant Program, Unlimited
Shannon Igleheart, Patterson Dental Co., Unlimited
Sarah Merrill CDA, Pediatric Dentistry, 2012-2020
Megan Stone RDH, General Dentistry, 2015-2019
Tracie Barnes RDH, General Dentistry, 2015-2020
Brittney Rice RDH, DAII, Pediatric Dentistry, 2016-2019
Chelsea Tolley CDA, Zoe Dental, 2018-2020
Brooke Hensley, CDA, Adjunct A-B Tech, 2019-2022