Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College offers an A.A.S. in Dental Hygiene. It offers exciting career opportunities and is among the fastest-growing professions for today's career search. The dental field is a very rewarding job that allows you to become a part of the Allied Health Care and serve in an area that helps people with dental health which is a part of your total health.
The A-B Tech Asheville Campus is located in the beautiful WNC Mountains of Asheville, North Carolina. You will not only be able to get the education you need, but you can also enjoy the culture of our area with many restaurants, shopping, outdoor adventures, or just simply settle in quietly while you are here.
It is our hope that you will find the answers needed to help you make good decisions about your education and career.
The Dental Hygiene program has been granted the Accreditation Status of Approval Without Reporting Requirements by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation. This status is awarded to an educational program indicating that the program achieves or exceeds the basic requirements for accreditation.
A copy of the Dental Hygiene Standards and CODA Policies and Procedures, including those for complaints, may be obtained online at American Dental Association (ADA); in writing at 211 East Chicago Ave., Chicago, IL 60611 or by calling (800) 621-8099.
NC Dental Board
CODA - A-B Tech Admissions Programs Technical Standards
CITA Board for Dental Hygiene Candidates
Con Ed Dental Radiology Class
Dental Radiology Night Class is offered in May or June each year. Contact the Continuing Education Department for registration, dates, and more information. For More Information call, (828) 398-7878 OR Visit WebAdvisor and click Continuing Education Students
|Title||Credential||Credit Hours||Link to program details|
|Dental Hygiene A.A.S.||Degree||72|
- Mrs. Fisher holds an A.A.S. in Dental Hygiene from A-B Tech. and a Bachelor in Dental Hygiene from East Tennessee State University in Dental Health.
- Mrs. Brooks holds an A.A.S. in Dental Hygiene from A-B Tech Community College and Bachelor in Dental Hygiene from East Tennessee State University.
Jeniffer Nicholson, RDH, BS
- Ms. Nicholson holds a Diploma in Dental Assisting and an A.A.S. in Dental Hygiene from A-B Tech and a Bachelors of Science from Mars Hill College.
Caroline Amerson, RDH, BSDH, MS
- Ms. Amerson holds a Bachelor of Science Degree from UNC-Chapel Hill and a Masters Degree in Forensic Odontology from UT-Knoxville.
Julie Goins, RDH, BS
- Mrs. Goins holds an A.A.S. in Dental Hygiene from A-B Tech Community College and Bachelor in Allied Health from Mars Hill College
Terry R. Schmidt, DDS
- Dr. Schmidt holds Bachelor's Degree from Ball State University and a Doctor in Dental Surgery from Loyola University School of Dentistry.
- Dr. Callan White, General Dentist (Buncombe), 2015-2021
- Dr. Keith Black, Orthodontist (Buncombe), 2018-2021
- Rosalyn Wasserman, CE Planner at MAHEC, Unlimited
- Susan Riddle, Eblen Charities, Unlimited
- Shannon Igleheart, Patterson Dental Co., Unlimited
- Sarah Merrill CDA, Pediatric Dentistry, 2012-2021
- Megan Stone RDH, General Dentistry, 2015-2021
- Tracey Barnes RDH, General Dentistry, 2015-2021
- Chelsea Tolley CDA, Zoe Dental, 2018-2021
- Brooke Hensley, CDA, 2019-2021
Employment of dental hygienists is projected to grow 6 percent from 2019 to 2029, faster than the average for all occupations. The demand for dental services will increase as the population ages and as research continues to link oral health to overall health.
2020 Median Pay:
$76,220 per year
$37.06 per hour
(Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)