Transfer Credit (Transcript Evaluation)

Transcript Evaluation
High School

Transfer Credit (Transcript Evaluation)

Credit From Other Institutions

Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College will accept credit for parallel work completed in other post-secondary institutions accredited by a regional accrediting agency. Applicants who seek transfer credit should make a regular application to the college. No credit will be granted for developmental courses or work below a "C." Transfer credit will be awarded for coursework without assigning grades or quality points. Proficiency credits from other institutions will not be accepted.

No more than 75% of the credit hours required in a program may be earned by transfer credit. If any course is taken for credit after transfer credit has been awarded, and a grade of A, B, C, D, F, or U is earned, it will replace the transfer credit in the cumulative GPA calculation. A student who must repeat a course may take it at another institution and transfer it to A-B Tech according to the guidelines above. Transfer credit may be awarded for appropriate military courses. If a student submits a transcript from a foreign university, it will be the student's responsibility to provide accurate translations of:

  • the transcript
  • course descriptions
  • the grading system

Credits will be evaluated in the context of the current catalog.

Students transferring into the Associate in Arts or Associate in Science program who have transfer credit from colleges other than the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS) will not be eligible for the Articulation Agreement between the universities and NCCCS. Students who have quarter courses will also not be eligible for the Articulation Agreement. Transcripts of these students will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis.

Transfer credits are awarded by the Office of Records and Registration. For more information, email or call (828) 398-7900.