Spring 2021 Activities and Events
Open to all current curriculum students
Get involved at these upcoming events!
- Jan 15-18th - The Martin Luther King, Jr. Association of Asheville & Buncombe County, Inc. 40th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemoration
- How to watch: Programming will be available starting 1/15/21 on YouTube. Subscribe and hit the bell icon to receive a notification each time a video is published for MLK Week!
- Jan 19th at 6:00 p.m. - MSLA and SGA Movie Night- “My Friend, Martin”. Open to all.
- Join here:https://abtech.zoom.us/j/98071238477
- Jan 21st at 6:00 p.m. - 2021 Vision Board Mixer. Open to all.
- Join here: https://abtech.zoom.us/j/96843884611
- Jan 26th at 7:00 p.m. - Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration Virtual Keynote Talk by Brittney Cooper – “Reimagining Black Liberation” hosted by UNCA.
- Zoom Link will be shared closer to date. For more info go to Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration Virtual Keynote Talk by Dr. Brittney Cooper – “Reimagining Black Liberation”
- Jan 28th at 6:00 p.m. – SGA Trivia Night! Open to all
- Join here: https://abtech.zoom.us/j/91499367837
- Feb. 4th at 3:30 p.m. - MSLA Movie Night- Join us as we kick off Black History Month. We will be watching the movie, “Safety”. Grab your popcorn and your friend and join us on Feb. 4 at 3:30 p.m. Open to all.
- Join here: https://abtech.zoom.us/j/93660935213
- Feb. 8th at 6:00 p.m. - SGA: Black History Month Trivia/Game Night. Open to all.
- Join here: https://abtech.zoom.us/j/97982318893
- Feb. 10th at 12:00 p.m. - Heart Health Dance Off! February is heart health month! Join MSLA and our very own academic advisor, Antonio Small for Zumba like dancing. Get up and get active! Open to all!
- Join here: https://abtech.zoom.us/j/99635787598
- Feb. 15th at 4:00 p.m. - Valentines Event: Chocolate Covered Everything! Grab strawberries or your favorite salty snack and some chocolate! We will create and decorate. Open to all.
- Join here: https://abtech.zoom.us/j/94450224135
- Feb. 16th at 7:00 p.m. - NSLS Live Speaker Broadcast- Mark Cuban. Open to all.
- Feb. 17th at 1:00 p.m. - Heart Health Dance Off! February is heart health month! Join MSLA and our very own academic advisor, Antonio Small for Zumba like dancing. Get up and get active! Open to all!
- Join here: https://abtech.zoom.us/j/99530663330
- Feb. 22nd at 12:00 p.m. - The Divine Nine: African American Greek Fraternities and Sororities. During Black History Month, MSLA will host this event to learn more about the history of the first nine, African American Greek Fraternities and Sororities. You will also learn of everyday celebrities and key history makers that are members of these nine organizations. Open to all.
- Join here: https://abtech.zoom.us/j/94844439018
- 3/2 at 7:00 p.m.- NSLS Live Speaker: Erica Dhawan
- 3/4 at 7:00 p.m.- SGA Trivia Night: Women’s History and more!
- 3/5 at 3:00 p.m.-NSLS Rebroadcast: Dr. Bernice A. King
- 3/9 at 7:00 p.m.- NSLS Live Speaker Broadcast- Bill Gates
- 3/10 at 12:00 p.m.- College Foundation of NC: Financial Basics Part 1 (Financial basics, credit)
Join here: https://abtech.zoom.us/j/98674208775
- 3/10 at 7:15 p.m. - “How to Adult”: Budgeting
Join here: https://abtech.zoom.us/j/95356718494
- 3/11 at 12:00 p.m. – A-B Tech Community College Scholarships Workshop
- 3/12 at 3:00 p.m.- NSLS Rebroadcast- Erica Dhawan
- 3/17 at 7:15 p.m.- “How to Adult”: Insurance
Join here: https://abtech.zoom.us/j/98523349893
- 3/18 at 12:00 p.m.- College Foundation of NC: Financial Basics Part 2 (Loans, Insurance)
Join here: https://abtech.zoom.us/j/92186604091
- 3/19 at 3:00 p.m.- NSLS Live Speaker Rebroadcast- Bill Gates
- 3/25 at 7:00 p.m.- SGA Trivia Night
February 3- March 3, 2021- Manna Food Bank Collection. We were able to raise 550 lbs. for Manna Food Bank in fall 2020. If you were not able to participate or contribute, now you will have the chance. We are accepting gently used/brand new coats and food. Please be sure to bag items separately (coats, food, etc.) Bins will be on campus from February 3, 2021- March 3, 2021. Drop-off ONLY bins (tall, yellow) can be found in the Magnolia lobby, The Ferguson Center for Allied Health and Workforce Development (A-B Tech Asheville), and the lobby of Bailey. Please contact Patricia Mathes at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Student Government Association (SGA) Meetings
Find out what’s happening around campus and get involved in creating positive change! Meetings are held every other Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. on Zoom and are open to all students. Follow Trailblazer Talk and contact Patricia Mathes, Student Life Coordinator, for more information!
Student Health Clinic
A-B Tech’s on-campus student/employee health clinic is open every Wednesday from 12 p.m. - 3 p.m. and is located in the Ferguson Center for Allied Health and Workforce Development, Student Clinic. Students (18 years of age or older) and employees may visit the on-campus health clinic.
Services include treatment for aches and pains; blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol evaluations; prescriptions; minor emergencies; medical questions; and cold, flu, and virus care. The cost is $10 per 15-minute visit for students (with student ID). All patients will be seen on a walk-in basis. To make an appointment, call (828) 398-7570 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clubs and Societies
Want to get involved with a student organization? A-B Tech has over 18 student clubs and societies of all varieties. You might even have an idea for a student organization that we don’t currently have on campus. If so, drop by our Student Government office in the Coman Student Activity Center and speak with an SGA officer. We are always open to new ideas and will help you find a leadership role that is perfect for you. See a full list of current clubs and societies on campus, as well as contact information at Clubs, Societies, and Student Programs.
Smith-McDowell House Museum
Connect to your community! Did you know you have access to a historic museum, right here on campus? The Smith-McDowell House Museum, Asheville’s very first mansion, is open Wednesday through Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. and Sunday 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Free admission with your student ID!
Asheville Art Museum
Asheville Art Museum passes are available to current students, for free! You can check out up to six passes per week for you and five friends to visit the art museum. Call (828) 398-7572 or email email@example.com for more information.
Completing your program this year?
If you will be completing your program (degree, diploma, certificate) this year, you must complete an Application for Program Completion. You can obtain an Application for Program Completion form in the K. Ray Bailey Student Services Building or at Graduation.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.