Process to Receive Accommodations

*Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, students will be assisted via Zoom, email, or phone.

If you are a student with a disability and require the services of interpreters, readers, note-takers, or who need other reasonable accommodations, it is your responsibility to request these services from Support Services since Federal law prohibits the college from making pre-admission inquiries about disabilities.

Students who have had accommodation letters with A-B Tech: Request your letters for this semester at

Students requesting accommodations for the first time:

It is best to be registered for classes before accommodations are determined.

  1. Complete our intake forms, starting with the Student Intake Form. Once you click Save, you'll be directed to complete the Disability Intake Form and Accommodations Intake Form. You also have the ability to upload documentation at that time if you would like.

If a paper copy is needed, complete Request for Accommodations Form (Electronic version, complete in Word and email to or pick one up in the Bailey Student Service Center.

  1. Provide documentation of their disability, i.e. a psycho-educational evaluation, diagnostic records from service providers such as Services for the Blind, Vocational Rehabilitation, School for the Deaf, or appropriate records from your physician. The disclosure of this information is voluntary and is not used for admission purposes.
  2. Once the Student Intake Forms AND documentation are received, the Support Services staff will schedule an appointment to meet with the student and determine the necessary accommodations. The accommodations are based on the specific needs of the individual.

Please note: Some accommodations may require more documentation and more time to establish. Please let us know if you have any questions about a specific accommodation.

  1. The Support Services staff prepares a letter of accommodation for each class in which the student is enrolled.
  2. A pdf of the letter will be emailed to the instructor and student. We encourage students to email/talk with their instructors about their accommodations.

The Support Services staff are available for faculty consultation and meetings with students and faculty upon request.

High School/Dual Enrolled Students

There are differences between high school and college accommodations. If you are a high school dual enrolled, middle college, or early college student, then you have to request accommodations through Support Services for your college classes. Please see the Differences Between High School and College Accommodations handout to compare the differences.

Accessible Parking

All lots on campus have designated parking spaces for individuals with disabilities. Individuals must display the State of North Carolina "handicapped" placard to park in these spaces. If students or employees need temporary permission to use a handicapped designated space (i.e. while in process of applying or for short-term situations like a broken leg), please click on the link below. A-B Tech does not determine the status of placards.

Application for Temporary Handicapped Placard

Please refer all other parking questions to A-B Tech Police at (828) 279-3166.


Mission and Goals of Support Services

Support Services assures program access to Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College by students with disabilities. Its goals are:

  1. To coordinate and provide reasonable accommodations and related disability services
  2. To advocate responsibly for an accessible and hospitable learning environment through the removal of informational, physical, and attitudinal barriers
  3. To promote self-determination and personal responsibility for students with disabilities
  4. To provide training and support to faculty and staff regarding the needs of students with disabilities.
  5. To provide the College with information regarding Disability issues.


Confidentiality Statement

In accordance with the law and with sound ethical counseling practice, specific information regarding a student's particular disability will not be shared with a third party without the student's express permission to do so unless requested by the College attorney or if required by law. By signing the Request for Accommodation form, the student is giving permission to disclose information regarding the need for accommodations, but not about their specific disability. It is the student's right not to disclose specific information regarding their disability to instructors. If a student would like Support Services staff to disclose any educational information, please complete the college's Release of Information form.