*Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, students will be assisted via Zoom, email, or phone.
If you are a student with a disability and require the services of interpreters, readers, note-takers, or who need other reasonable accommodations, it is your responsibility to request these services from Support Services since Federal law prohibits the college from making pre-admission inquiries about disabilities.
- Complete the A-B Tech enrollment checklist and enroll in classes. Placement test accommodations are provided upon request.
- If a student chooses to receive accommodations from Support Services, they are asked to:
- Complete our intake forms, starting with the Student Intake Form. Once you click Save, you'll be directed to complete the Disability Intake Form and Accommodations Intake Form. You also have the ability to upload documentation if you would like.
- Provide documentation of their disability, i.e. a psycho-educational evaluation, diagnostic records from service providers such as Services for the Blind, Vocational Rehabilitation, School for the Deaf, or appropriate records from your physician. The disclosure of this information is voluntary and is not used for admission purposes.
- Once the Student Intake Forms AND documentation are received, the Support Services staff will schedule an appointment to meet with the student and determine the necessary accommodations. The accommodations are based on the specific needs of the individual.
Please note: Some accommodations may require more documentation and more time to establish. Please let us know if you have any questions about a specific accommodation.
- The Support Services staff prepares a letter of accommodation for each class in which the student is enrolled.
- The student must pick up their letter of accommodation from the Student Services Center in the K. Ray Bailey building and deliver to their instructors, except for online classes which will be emailed to instructors.
The Support Services staff are available for faculty consultation and meetings with students and faculty upon request.
All lots on campus have designated parking spaces for individuals with disabilities. Individuals must display the State of North Carolina "handicapped" placard to park in these spaces. If students or employees need temporary permission to use a handicapped designated space (i.e. while in process of applying or for short-term situations like a broken leg), please click on the link below. A-B Tech does not determine status for placards.
Please refer all other parking questions to A-B Tech Police at (828) 279-3166.
Mission and Goals of Support Services
Support Services assures program access to Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College by students with disabilities. Its goals are:
- To coordinate and provide reasonable accommodations and related disability services
- To advocate responsibly for an accessible and hospitable learning environment through the removal of informational, physical, and attitudinal barriers
- To promote self-determination and personal responsibility for students with disabilities
- To provide training and support to faculty and staff regarding the needs of students with disabilities.
- To provide the College with information regarding Disability issues.
In accordance with the law and with sound ethical counseling practice, specific information regarding a student's particular disability will not be shared with a third party without the student's express permission to do so unless requested by the College attorney or if required by law. By signing the Request for Accommodation form, the student is giving permission to disclose information regarding the need for accommodations, but not about their specific disability. It is the student's right not to disclose specific information regarding their disability to instructors. If a student would like Support Services staff to disclose any educational information, please complete the college's Release of Information form.