This Page Contains Information for Clinical Massage students (top of page) and Clinical Massage Clients (bottom of page)
Clinical Massage Program
For More Information
Call (828) 398-7878
With a total of 518 hours of instruction, A-B Tech's cost-effective Clinical Massage Program is a unique opportunity for those aspiring to enter a healthcare career. The Program is structured into three modules: Module I: Fundamentals of Theory & Practice I; Module II: Fundamentals of Theory & Practice II; Module III: Intensive Clinic/Lab. All modules include in-person classes and will be conducted three days a week (M, T, W) 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. from June 28, 2021 - February 16, 2022 (dates and times are subject to change).
This program provides classroom, laboratory, and clinical experiences consistent with the standards of practice established by the North Carolina Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy (NCBMBT).
This course is designed to prepare students for the Massage Board Licensing Exam (MBLEx) which establishes eligibility to apply to the State Board for Licensure to practice in North Carolina as a Licensed Massage and Bodywork Therapist (LMBT).
If you are interested in registering for the Clinical Massage class, call the Health Occupations office at (828) 398-7878 and provide your email address. Your name and email address will be put onto the Clinical Massage mailing list and our office will send you an email invitation to the next information session for a Clinical Massage class. It is highly recommended that students attend the Information Sessions. The date for the next cohort has not
Registration is held in person on a first-come-first-served basis. All required documents must be presented before scheduling the interview and registration. There will be no exceptions. Many of these items will be required for consideration to take the state exam. The NC Board of Massage and Bodywork requires a Criminal Background check and moral character references for candidates to test. Also, anyone with infractions or suspensions regarding student conduct will not be able to take the state board test. For more information go to Rules And Regulations Of The North Carolina Board Of Massage & Bodywork Therapy.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Copy of High School diploma, high school transcripts, or GED
- A score of an 11th-grade reading level result or higher on the TABE Test. Call Health Occupations Office (828) 398-7878 for an appointment to schedule a time to take this exam.
- Submit (2) references from persons not related to you indicating "good moral character." (Request forms from Health Occupations Office or you can download the request form at Massage Reference.)
- Submit a physician's assessment stating that you are capable of being in an instructional program that is physically "rigorous and strenuous." (Request form from Health Occupations Office or you can download the request form at Physician Assessment.)
- Provide an official U.S. government-issued, non-expired signature bearing photo identification. Examples include a driver's license, U.S. Military ID, or U.S. passport.
- Copies of immunization records should include TDAP, MMR, Varicella, TB, Influenza, and COVID vaccines. (COVID Vaccine is not required but suggested) Copies of blood tests can also be used for this record.
- Students who are accepted into the Clinical Massage Program are required to attend the Orientation for the class.
- Interview with Director of Clinical Massage Program. When you have gathered together all of the above documents and forms, you may call the Health Occupations Office (828) 398-7878 to schedule the required interview.
Registration Fee and Other Expenses
- Registration Fee for Each Module: $191.35 (Registration fee includes: tuition, insurance, technology fee, and CAPS fee). Note: effective August 2, 2021, a supply fee of $25 will be added for Modules II and III starting after this date.
- Payment Options:
- Students should bring in the exact amount if paying with cash
- Write a check to A-B Tech for the exact amount
- Bring a written authorization for payment from your organizational sponsor or the employer who will pay for your class. Please note there are scholarships available to aid with these costs
- Students may also pay with American Express, Master Card, or VISA
- Books: Approx. $350.00 (can order on the Internet or buy at A-B Tech Book Store)
- Uniform: Approx. $125.00 (Reed's Uniform Store)
- Holster with bottles: Approx. $35.00 (massagewarehouse.com)
- 3 sets of sheets for lab practice Approx. $50
Costs After the Course
- MBLEx Exam: $195.00
- Application Fee: $20.00
- Finger Print Card: $20.00
- NCLMBT state licensure: $190.00
Approximate Total: $1,500.00
If you have any questions regarding these registration procedures or have any further questions, please call the Health Occupations Office at (828) 398-7878.
Information for individuals (clients) requesting to receive a student massage.
No appointments are being scheduled for massages at this time.
Thank you for choosing to participate in our student practicum clinic experience. This is a valuable tool for each student to learn the various aspects of hands-on clinic practice. We have a very nice facility consistent with other programs in the area. We have room dividers around the tables to protect privacy. The doors will be open during the massage session to protect the student and client and to allow the instructor to respond to questions as needed.
Any inappropriate conversation or behavior conducted towards a student during the session will result in immediate termination of the session and future sessions will not be permitted. Everyone must wear underpants to receive a Clinical Massage at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College. Individuals must be 18 years old or older to receive massage services or be accompanied by an adult.
Instructor and Student Therapists who partake in the A-B Technical Community College Clinical Massage Program will not diagnose any illness or disease. We will assess your clinical massage needs and perform a clinical massage accordingly. Please consult a primary health care physician prior to receiving a therapeutic or clinical massage.
Clinical Massage Day Class Appointments
No appointments are being scheduled for massages at this time.
Clinical Massages are given in Room 242 at the Ferguson Center for Allied Health and Workforce Development building (10 Genevieve Circle) on the A-B Tech Asheville Campus.
There are three appointment times during the day 9:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., and 1:30 p.m. We ask that you arrive 15-minutes before your appointment to give yourself plenty of time to pay the cashier and fill out paperwork.
(Note: Depending on where students are at in the course of study, not all massages may be available.)
You may schedule as many appointments as you would like, please note that you can schedule up to 3 appointments with the same student.
- Integrative Massage--basic all-body massage incorporating the system of transitional strokes and movements of Swedish massage with features of myofascial, trigger point, and neuromuscular therapies as a pathway to treatment-oriented work. As students become more experienced, massages can include the advanced neuromuscular, deep tissue, myofascial release, visceral manipulation, and structural balancing therapies to lengthen the shortened muscles in the front of the body which reduces tension in the back (overstretched) muscles.
- Clothed Table Massage--Client keeps clothes on, basic all-body massage on a table with a face cradle to support the head while the neck, shoulders, back, legs, and feet are treated, unlike chair massage, the front of the body can also be treated by turning face up to release the tension on the front of the body for a more complete experience. No lotion or oil is used.
- Chair Massage--The Client sits on a massage chair with a face cradle to support the head, and the arms and legs supported. The therapist works the muscles through the clothes. The focus is on the back, neck, shoulders, arms, and hands. No lotion or oil is used.
- Foot Massage--lower leg and foot treatment, using warm, moist towels, massage, and mobilization to improve circulation, stimulate muscles, reduce tension, and often eases pain.
- 50-minute massages: $25.00
- 25-minute massages: $15.00
You will pay for your session as you enter the first-floor main entry of the Ferguson Center for Allied Health and Workforce Development on the A-B Tech Asheville Campus. You will then proceed to your appointment in Room 242. We accept cash, check, or credit/debit cards.
Thank you for supporting our students.