Nurse Aide Program (CNA)
Call Health Occupations Office to be placed on a Call List to register for a CNA Class
You will receive a call to register in the order your name appears on the Call List
You Must Schedule An Appointment To Register
Walk-ins Will Not Be Allowed To Register
Call the Health Occupations Office
for further registration information and to have your name placed on the Call List
Upon satisfactory completion of the Nurse Aide Course including skills competency evaluation, the graduate is eligible to apply for testing as a Nurse Aide I by the North Carolina Division of Facility Services to be listed as a Certified Nurse Aide.
Short-term training that prepares individuals to work as caregivers in a health care setting, such as in a nursing home, hospital, or home health care.
Students are required to participate in an online mandatory orientation prior to beginning the Nurse Aide I class.
- 120 hours of Class/Lab/Clinical instruction
- Taught by a Registered Nurse
- Approved by the North Carolina Division of Health Service Regulation
Students must register in person for NA I classes. To Register call the Health Occupations phone line (828) 398-7878 to make an appointment. If there is no answer, leave your name and phone number, and a member of our team will return your call. The Health Occupations office is located in the Ferguson Center for Allied Health and Workforce Development (10 Genevieve Circle), Room 308.1 on the Asheville Main Campus.
The Following Required Documents Must Be Presented At Time Of Registration. There Will Be No Exceptions.
- Because the clinical portion of the Nurse Aide class will not be held at a clinical site the TB (Tuberculosis) skin test and all other immunizations are being waived at this time. This is subject to change with clinical availability.
- Make sure you have a non-expired, government-issued picture ID, such as a U.S. driver’s license or a U.S. passport, which must be presented at registration.
- Social Security Card must be presented at registration. Make sure your name on your Social Security Card and Driver's License match.
- Students will need to provide a High School Diploma/GED or transcripts stating that they have graduated from High School. A completed Bachelor's or Master's Degree will also be acceptable. If unable to provide any of the mentioned documents a free reading test will be required. Call the Health Occupations office for directions on how to schedule a reading test at (828) 398-7878.
- At this time there are no CNAI classes being held at Mission
- The registration fee varies from $216.35 - $226.35 depending on the location of the NA I class. (Registration fee includes: Tuition, Supply Fee, Insurance, Technology fee, and CAPS fee ).
- Payment Options:
- Students should bring in the exact amount if paying with cash
- Write a check to A-B Tech for the exact amount
- Bring a written authorization for payment from your organizational sponsor or the employer who will pay for your class
- Students may also pay with American Express, Master Card, or VISA
- Due to the demand of the Nurse Assistant classes, minors (those between 16 and a half-18 years of age), will be admitted to class per college policy. Exceptions may be made for minors with a High School Diploma or GED at the time of the class. For further information please contact the Health Occupations office at (828) 398-7878.
- Finally, be sure you bring all the required documents with you when you come for your scheduled appointment.
The required Nursing Assistant Orientation is completed online within 6-hours prior to the first day of class and is designed to introduce:
- A-B Tech’s safety awareness
- Confidentiality and safety standards of the medical field
- Zoom Classroom Rules and Etiquette
- Students to the workplace expectations of a Nursing Assistant
- Awareness of the needs of the patients
- Items to help you prepare for your job search
Textbook, Workbook, and Handbook are available at A-B Tech's bookstore located at the K. Ray Bailey building. The bookstore is closed to the public but is offering curbside pickup for online orders through August 16. The hours for the curbside pickup are 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., Friday. Hours of operation will change on Monday, August 17. These books should be purchased before Orientation.
- Hartman's Nursing Assistant Care: Long-Term Care, by Susan Alvare Hedman, Jetta Fuzy, RN, MS, and Suzanne Rrymer, MSTE, RN-BC, LSW, Fourth Edition, Hartman Publishing, Inc. 2018.
- Workbook: Hartman's Nursing Care Assistant Care: Long-Term Care, by Hartman Publishing, Inc., Fourth Edition.
- Handbook, Modules for A-B Tech's CNAI class
The following costs are approximate and may change without notice:
- Tuition: $180.00
- Insurance: $1.35
- Supply Fee: $35.00
- Technology Fee*: $5.00 (charged for classes at A-B Tech campuses only)
- CAPS Fee*: $5.00 (charged for classes at A-B Tech campuses only)
Total Registration Fee: $216.35 - 226.35
- Textbooks: $85.00
- Student Handbook: $14.00
- CPR Card: $5.00 (Some classes will offer CPR)
Registry Exam Fee
- NACES Registry Exam: $140.00
Exam fee is payable by credit/debit only to Pearson Vue.
- Ceil Blue Scrubs Top and Bottom: Approx. $40.00
- Scrubs are available for purchase at Read's uniforms or other uniform outlets throughout the city.
- White sneakers, tennis shoes, or uniform shoes should be worn with the Ceil Blue Scrubs.
You will be required to wear the Ceil Blue Scrubs during lab/clinical classes.
Financial Assistance and Continuing Education Scholarships may be available to you.
- In order to take the Nurse Aide State Exam, you will need to have a United States Social Security Card issued by the Social Security Administration. This must be the actual card, not a photocopy. If you do not have your original card, you can apply for a duplicate at the Social Security Administration Office which is located off Chunns Cove Road in the Center Park Office Complex on Piney Mountain Road. This card cannot be laminated. The name on your picture ID and the social security card must match.
- All classes are on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Attendance for orientation is required.
- Attendance for all class days is mandatory, so please check your schedule to make sure you can attend classes as scheduled.
- Class dates are subject to change so please call the NA Office at (828) 398-7878 to confirm class availability.
Day Classes (120 hours)
- Three days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday; Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday; or Wednesday, Thursday, Friday)
- Zoom Class Hours: 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.; 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Lab Classroom Hours: 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Clinical Classroom Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Evening Classes (120 hours)
- Two evenings or Three evenings per week
- Zoom Class Hours: 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Lab Classroom Hours: 5:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Clinical Classroom Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (3 Saturdays)