Student Complaint Information by State and Agency

States & TerritoriesAgency NameLink to and/or Information about the State Complaint Process as required by 34 CFR 600.9(a) & (b) - An institution described under §§ 600.4, 600.5, and 600.6 is legally authorized by a State if the State has a process to review and appropriately act on complaints concerning the institution including enforcing applicable State laws.....
AlabamaAlabama Commission on Higher Education - Office of Institutional Effectiveness and Planning

For Alabama’s public institutions, contacts are posted to the Alabama Commission on Higher Education website.

Alabama Commission on Higher Education's Student Complaint Process

ACCS Private School Licensing DivisionAlabama Community College System | Complaints*Note: Complaints for out-of-state institutions are referred to the ACCS Private School Licensure.
AlaskaAlaska Commission on Postsecondary EducationAlaska Commission on Postsecondary Education | Consumer Protection & Student Complaints
American Samoacan Samoa Department of Education (Utulei)can Samoa Department of Education (Utulei)
ArizonaArizona State Board for Private Postsecondary EducationArizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education | Student Complaint Procedure
ArkansasArkansas Department of Higher EducationArkansas Department of Higher Education | Student Grievance Form
CaliforniaBureau for Private Postsecondary Education

For institutions regulated by BPPE: Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education | How to File a Complaint

For out-of-state institutions not subject to BPPE: California Department of Consumer Affairs | DCA is here to help

ColoradoColorado Department of Higher Education and Private Occupational SchoolsColorado Department of Higher Education | File A Student Complaint
ConnecticutThe Office of Financial and Academic Affairs for Higher EducationThe Office of Financial and Academic Affairs for Higher Education | Student Complaints
DelawareDelaware Department of EducationThe Student Complaint Policy offered is only for purposes of SARA. No other student complaint policy is found on the website.
District of ColumbiaHigher Education Licensure CommissionFAQ for Students indicates that complaints may be submitted to the HELC by "clicking here", but there is no hyperlink. A public complaint webpage was found here: Higher Education Licensure Commission | Public Complaints
Federated State of Micronesia not found
FloridaCommission for Independent Education-Department of EducationFlorida Department of Higher Education | Concerns & Complaint Process
GeorgiaGeorgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education CommissionGeorgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission | Complaints Against an Institution
Guam not found
HawaiiHawaii Post-Secondary Education Authorization ProgramFor some reason, website links are routed to the homepage State of Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. See the drop-down for "About", Hawaii Post-Secondary Education Authorization Program (HPEAP). From that page look at drop-down under forms to see Student Forms. The Student Complaint Process is found there.
IdahoIdaho State Board of EducationIdaho State Board of Education | Student Complaint Procedures
IllinoisIllinois Board of Higher EducationHow to Register an Institutional Complaint with the Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE)
IndianaIndiana Department of Workforce DevelopmentIndiana Department of Workforce Development | Office for Career and Technical Schools Scroll down the page.
Indiana Commission of Higher EducationIndiana Commission for Higher Education | Student Complaints
IowaIowa College Student Aid CommissionIowa College Student Aid Commission | Student Complaints
KansasKansas Board of RegentsKansas Board of Regents | Private Postsecondary Complaint Process
KentuckyKentucky Council on Postsecondary EducationKentucky Council on Postsecondary Education | How to File a Consumer Complaint
Kentucky Commission on Proprietary EducationKentucky Commission on Proprietary Education
LouisianaLouisiana Board of RegentsLouisiana Board of Regent | Student Complaint Process/
Proprietary SchoolsLouisiana Board of Regents Proprietary Schools Section | Student Complaint Procedure
MaineMaine Department of Education, Office of Higher Education ServicesOnly SARA complaint process could be found on the higher education agency website.
MarylandMaryland Higher Education CommissionMaryland Higher Education Commission | Department of Academic Affairs (Scroll down to complaint process and form pdfs.)
MassachusettsOffice of Private Occupational School EducationInformation For Students - Office of Private Occupational School Education
Massachusetts Department of Higher EducationMassachusetts Department of Higher Education | Complaints
MichiganMichigan Department of Labor & Economic OpportunityMichigan Department of Labor & Economic Opportunity | Filing A Complaint
MinnesotaMinnesota Office of Higher EducationMinnesota Office of Higher Education | Complaints About Private Colleges and Career Schools
MississippiMississippi Commission on College AccreditationMississippi Commission on College Accreditation | Student Complaint Process
Commission on Proprietary School and College RegistrationCommission on Proprietary School and College Registration | CPSCR Complaints
MissouriMissouri Department of Higher EducationMissouri Department of Higher Education | CBHE Policy On Complaint Resolution
MontanaMontana University System, Montana Board of RegentsNotification of Montana Postsecondary Educational Institution Complaint Process
NebraskaNebraska Department of Education, Private Postsecondary Career SchoolsNebraska Department of Education | Instructions On Preparing A Complaint
Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary EducationStudent Complaints Against Postsecondary Institutions
NevadaNevada Commission on Postsecondary EducationNevada Commission on Postsecondary Education | Student Complaints Against Postsecondary Institutions Note the Student Complaint under forms on right-hand side.
New HampshireDepartment of Education, Division of Higher Education, Higher Education CommissionNew Hampshire Division of Educator Support and Higher Education | Complaint Policy
New JerseyNew Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development, Center for Occupational Employment InformationNew Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development, Center for Occupational Employment Information | Labor Market Information Look under Information for Students for the Student Conflict Resolution Form (Complaints)
Office of the Secretary of Higher EducationOffice of the Secretary of Higher Education | Instructions for Filing a Complaint about an Institution of Higher Education
New MexicoNew Mexico Higher Education DepartmentNew Mexico Higher Education Department | Student Complaints
New YorkOffice of College and University EvaluationOffice of College and University Evaluation | Filing a Complaint About a College or University
Adult Career and Continuing Education ServicesAdult Career and Continuing Education Services | Student Rights
North CarolinaThe University of North Carolina SystemThe University of North Carolina System | Post-Secondary Education Complaints
The North Carolina Community College System (Office of Proprietary School Services)The North Carolina Community College System | Office of Proprietary School Services
North DakotaNorth Dakota State Board for Career and Technical EducationNorth Dakota State Board for Career and Technical Education | Private Career School Complaint Procedure
North Dakota University SystemNorth Dakota University System | State Authorization & SARA This complaint process appears to be applicable for institutions not participating in reciprocity through SARA as well as SARA-participating institutions.
Northern Mariana Islands not found
OhioOhio Department of Higher EducationOhio Department of Higher Education | Student Complaint Information
Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and SchoolsOhio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools | File a Complaint
OklahomaOklahoma State Regents for Higher EducationOklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
Oklahoma Board of Career and Technology EducationOklahoma Board of Career and Technology Education | Student Complaints
Oklahoma Board of Private Vocational SchoolsOklahoma Board of Private Vocational Schools | Students
OregonHigher Education Coordinating CommissionHigher Education Coordinating Commission | Student Complaints
PennsylvaniaDepartment of EducationPennsylvania Department of Education | Student Complaints
Puerto RicoPuerto Rico Council on Education

Puerto Rico Council on Education

Puerto Rico Council on Education | SARA Complaint Process

It appears that this process can be used more broadly than to just address SARA participating institutions.

Republic of Palau not found
Republic of the Marshall Islands not found
Rhode IslandRhode Island Board of Governors for Higher EducationRhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education | Student Complaint Procedures
South CarolinaSouth Carolina Commission on Higher EducationSouth Carolina Commission on Higher Education | Student Resources
South DakotaSecretary of State (South Dakota Attorney General)South Dakota Attorney General | Complaint Form - this is a broad complaint form not just to address postsecondary institutions.
TennesseeTennessee Higher Education CommissionTennessee Higher Education Commission | Transcript Requests and Institution Complaints
TexasTexas Higher Education Coordinating BoardTexas Higher Education Coordinating Board
U.S. Virgin Islands not found
UtahUtah Division of Consumer ProtectionUtah Division of Consumer Protection | Complaints
VermontVermont State Board of EducationVermont State Board of Education | Complaint Resolution of Postsecondary Schools
VirginiaPrivate & Out-of-State Postsecondary Education, State Council of Higher Education for VirginiaState Council of Higher Education for Virginia | Student Complaints
WashingtonWashington Student Achievement CouncilWashington Student Achievement Council | Student Complaints
Washington Workforce Training and Education Coordinating BoardWashington Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board | Resources for Students
West VirginiaWest Virginia Higher Education Policy CommissionWest Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission | Student Complaint Process
West Virginia Council for Community & Technical College EducationWest Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission | Student Complaint Process
WisconsinWisconsin Educational Approval BoardWisconsin Educational Approval Board | File a Complaint
WyomingWyoming Department of EducationWyoming Department of Education