Studying at A-B Tech with an F-1 or M-1 Student Visa!
A-B Tech is authorized to issue Form I-20 documents for students pursuing study under an F1 or M1 student visa. Students studying under a student visa may choose from a wide selection of diploma and associate degree programs. If you do not find a program of interest at A-B Tech, please visit Study in the States to find a school that fits your needs.
English proficiency is required and must be documented by TOEFL or IELTS scores. A-B Tech does offer an intensive English Language Acquisition Program (ELA). It is not for credit and students must already be living in the US to attend. A-B Tech has not been approved to issue I-20s for study in the ELA program.
Applicants from countries where English is the language of instruction or who already live in the Asheville area are not required to submit Test Of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores. All other applicants must submit scores. Official scores must be sent directly to A-B Tech from the testing agency. Our institution code is 5033.
A-B Tech only accepts TOEFL iBT or IELTS scores. For TOEFL, A total score of 60 is required on the internet-based test (iBT) and a minimum score of 15 is required on each subsection (Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing). A minimum of 6 is required for the IELTS Overall Band Score.
Additional Placement Testing:
International students must complete college-level placement prior to admission. Students can meet the additional placement requirements in several ways. However, most F1/M1 students will take the EdReady English and math placement exam to meet this requirement.
Most noncitizen students, such as international students with F-1 or M-1 visas, are not eligible for federal or state financial aid and will be required to pay out-of-state tuition rates. Information about eligible noncitizens who can potentially qualify for federal financial aid is available on the U.S. federal government's Student Aid website.
International students on an F-1 or M-1 student visa must be enrolled full-time and must show proof of financial support sufficient to cover out-of-state tuition, fees, books, supplies, living, and travel expenses for a minimum of one year of study. The estimated annual cost of attendance is $24,000 US Dollars. Please add an additional $5,000 for each dependent accompanying the student.
All applicants must submit the following:
- International Application Checklist
- General Application for Admission: Complete all sections of the application. This application must be submitted online.
- International Application: This provides us with vital information to complete the application process. Please do not leave any questions blank.
- Please complete the Dependent Supplement if you have any dependents who will be coming with you to the U.S.
- Affidavit of Support and Other Supporting Financial Documents: The A-B Tech Affidavit(s) of Support must be notarized and a notarized bank letter must be attached. Bank letters must be in English, indicate the currency used (US Dollars is preferred), the name of the account holder, and the total funds available. You may submit multiple affidavits if more than one person or agency will be helping you fund your education.
- College Transcripts: If you have attended any colleges or universities outside of the United States and wish for them to be considered for transfer credit, please include a certified/notarized copy of the original transcript and an official evaluation from a participating NACES member agency. The NACES evaluation may count as both original transcript and translation.
- Photocopy of Passport Biographical Page (for the applicant and all dependents).
- F-1/M1 International Application Fee: A one-time $50 F-1/M-1 International Application Fee must be paid prior to reviewing your F-1/M-1 application materials.
Application materials may be uploaded using our secure online site (A-B Tech login required) or mailed to:
Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
Attn: Student Advisor
340 Victoria Rd.
Asheville, NC, 28801, USA.
A completed application packet must be received by the following deadlines:
- For fall semester admission – June 1 for new applicants and July 1 for students transferring from another college with a valid I-20
- For spring semester admission – October 1 for new applicants and November 1 for students transferring from another college with a valid I-20
- For summer semester admission – March 1 for new applicants and April 1 for students transferring from another college with a valid I-20
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please allow 2-4 weeks for a completed application to be processed.
Accepted students will be issued I-20 forms authorizing them to request an F-1 or M-1 visa from the U.S. Embassy in their home country or to request a change of status. It is the responsibility of the accepted student to determine the necessary steps to obtain an F-1 or M-1 visa after A-B Tech has issued an I-20.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or if you would like to schedule a virtual appointment.