This Basic RiderCourse developed by The Motorcycle Safety Foundation has been updated as part of the MSF Rider Education and Training System designed to "develop a novice rider into an excellent rider." The Basic RiderCourse is conducted at a pace that results in successful completion for most novice riders. The course begins with a self-paced e-Course completed on your own time and computer. Saturday and Sunday consist of classroom and actual motorcycle operator training in a controlled, off-street environment. No experience is necessary; a good sense of balance is required (you must be able to ride a bicycle). If you experience significant difficulty or become a safety risk to yourself or others, you will not be permitted to continue to ride.
To receive the NC Motorcycle Safety Education Program endorsement card you must attend one hundred percent of all scheduled course hours, pass the written test and skills evaluation.
You will learn:
- To have more fun by riding your motorcycle safely.
- The basics: what to wear, how to start and stop your motorcycle, and motorcycle controls.
- Street strategies to avoid trouble and stay safe.
- How to maneuver your motorcycle in tough situations: swerving, avoiding collisions, special situations, lane changes, passing, and avoiding hazards.
Reasons why you should take this course:
- Licensing Test Waiver – NCDMV waives the skills portion of your motorcycle-endorsement test if you've completed successfully the RiderCourse.
- Insurance Discounts - Many insurance companies offer discounts on motorcycle premiums to students who have successfully completed a RiderCourse. Be sure to ask your insurance agent.
Required Gear for Saturday and Sunday:
- Long pants
- Long sleeve shirts
- Over the ankle boots
- Full-fingered gloves
- Eye protection (sunglasses or prescription eyewear is permissible)
- DOT-approved helmet
- Motorcycles are provided.
- Students under the age of 18 must have the written consent of a parent or guardian.
- You do NOT need to possess a driver’s license or learner’s permit to take the course.
- You must possess some degree of strength, be able to support a 300‑pound motorcycle while straddling it, and have the ability to push the motorcycle for distances up to 120 feet.
- Heat and cold weather conditions can add to the strenuous conditions you'll encounter while taking the course.
|April 10 - April 11, 2021||CSP-4258-715MS||Full|
|April 17 - April 18, 2021||CSP-4258-204MS||Full|
|April 24 - April 25, 2021||CSP-4258-206MS||Full|
|May 01 - May 02, 2021||CSP-4258-208MS||Full|
|May 08 - May 09, 2021||CSP-4258-210MS||Full|
|May 15 - May 16, 2021||CSP-4258-212MS||Full|
|May 22 - May 23, 2021||CSP-4258-214MS||Full|
|June 05 - June 06, 2021||CSP-4258-220MS||Full|
|June 12 - June 13, 2021||CSP-4258-222MS||Full|
|June 19 - June 20, 2021||CSP-4258-224MS||Open|
|June 26 - June 27, 2021||CSP-4258-226MS||Open|
|July 10 - July 11, 2021||CSP-4258-228MS||Open|
|July 17 - July 18, 2021||CSP-4258-230MS||Open|
|July 31 - August 1, 2021||CSP-4258-234MS||Open|
Times and Locations - Rain or Shine:
- MSF E-Course – To be completed before coming to class on Saturday morning. E-Codes will be sent to registered students a week before the class begins
- Self-Pace, Computer-based e-Course
- You must have a valid email address and know how to operate a computer.
Saturday and Sunday, 7:45 a.m. - 5 p.m., Room 203 Advanced Manufacturing Center Building, Asheville Campus
- Wear motorcycle gear listed above
- Rain gear when necessary
- One-hour lunch break each day
- Bring plenty of fluids to keep hydrated
- Optional - a portable canvas chair
Registration Fee: $195 (includes the e-Course Authorization Code, Basic Rider Course Handbook, and a $4 comprehensive insurance fee)
*All NC Motorcycle Safety Education courses are self-supporting and tuition fees will not be refunded if you fail to show up or don't complete the course for any reason. Transfers will be considered on a case-by-case basis and must be requested at least one week in advance of the original course date. Transfers are provided if your space can be filled. No fee exemptions. No refunds after registration.